SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pandaroux

Leaking ADA compliant shower stall

Jen K.
10 years ago

DH and I moved into a new construction apartment and have an ADA compliant shower stall in our master bathroom. We have two issues that may or may not be related:

1. We noticed leaking around the door brackets right after our first shower and have been careful to point the showerhead away from the door and wipe up any puddles right after we shower. Despite these efforts, the marble floor tile right outside the shower darkened and took on a wet look. The dark, wet look spread to about 10 sq ft, about 3 ft in one direction, 5 ft in another, even though any puddles were really small, say 6" diameter tops, and only right by the shower door. I thought given how far the wet look was spreading and that we were wiping up puddles, there must be a leak *under the floor tile.* But the tile contractors swear up and down that the *aboveground* leak around the door brackets is the cause. They claim that this leakage is penetrating the grout in front of the shower door and spreading underneath the marble. Is this possible? Is it possible for a small leak (but continuous up to 15 minutes at a time) to cause marble to get wet 5 feet away over a period of several weeks?? The tile contractors have every incentive to deny an underfloor leak because this would be their responsibility.

2. The shower leaks from under the rubber doorsweep (the flap at the bottom edge of the door) and around the moving hinge. These areas can't be caulked. The shower glass installers have blamed the tile contractors (surprise, surprise) for installing the marble saddle level instead of pitched towards the shower. But it sounds like even with the right pitch, water will be getting out. Ultimately, I would not care if the marble didn't discolor, a puddle here and there in itself wouldn't bother me. But we have the same marble tile in the shower and even after a month of non-use, the marble still has a wet look to it. Based on this, I expect any leak, however small, to cause a permanently discolored area outside the shower, only question being whether it will be small or get big like before.

I've attached a few photos. The one with the towel in it shows the darkened marble floor tile. I know it's kind of hard to see the darkening, there is one really dark patch in front of the vanity cabinet. The tile contractors did replace most of the darkened floor tile and the other photos show what it looks like now. We have not used the shower for a month now because we're afraid of getting this tile dark, too.

We have been dealing with this for 3 months. The different subcontractors blame each other and no one wants to fix the issue. We are not their clients, the developer is, and he is willing to do only so much to fix our problem. I would really, really appreciate some advice on this.

Comments (6)