SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pughimag

Yet another sub-panel question

pughimag
14 years ago

I apologize for yet another post on this issue but I have searched and read a number of these (Useful article by Tom though - thanks)and I don't yet see an answer to my questions so here goes:

I have a 16ft X 12ft shed that I want to use as a music room (electronics). I also have a portable A/C unit installed there (draws 9 amps).I daresay I will need a space heater in the winter. This is what I have done so far:

Dug a trench 18 ins deep and popped in 3/4" PVC conduit with #10 wire (4 wires - two hot, a neutral and a ground). I have a double-pole 30 amp breaker at the main panel which I now know I need to swap out for a GFI. The run is 80ft (60 ft to the building plus the vertical distances to the boxes).

After reading this forum I realize that I should not attach the sub-panel bonding strap to the neutral bus because of a parallel circuit situation so I took it out (thank you).

I am using two breakers - a 20A for the circuit containing the AC unit (has two receptacles and a light on it also) and a 15A for another 4 receptacles. There is no main breaker in my sub-panel and I only need two circuits.

Here's my question. For the ground wire that is coming underground from the main box as part of the four wires (it is connected to the neutral bus at that location). Should this ground wire be unused at the sub-panel if I drive an 8ft ground rod (two of them according to Tom) in at the shed?

Tom's post stated two ground rods no less than 6ft apart with #6 wire to the sub-panel where it would be connected to the grounds coming from the wiring in the shed, independently of the neutral bus.

I am not sure if I should be connecting the ground wire coming from the main panel to the shed circuits and the shed grounding rods.

I am keen to get the grounding right for safety primarily but also for minimizing hum in my equipment.

This looks to be a very helpful forum. Any advise would be much appreciated.

Comments (11)