SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brian0123

Unusual sub panel question...

brian0123
15 years ago

Sorry in advance if this seems simple (or dumb)but I am not a pro. I have some wiring knowledge, but on this project would prefer to hear from the experts. This is not an inspection job, just want to make sure it is safe.

My goal is to wire a sub panel (main lug type, no breaker in sub) to my attached garage. I have an unused 60 amp breaker in the main panel & would run 6/3 to the sub panel from it. I want to accomodate a 50 amp breaker for a 220v welder, a 20 amp breaker for a 110v welder & a 20 amp breaker for a 110v (1500w) heater. All three of these would be dedicated usage with nothing else on them. The two welder circuits would never be used at the same time (& could be labled as such), however the dedicated heater circuit would be on at the same time as either of the welders, in the winter time anyhow. I know that the breakers I put in the sub are sufficient for the usage of each individual appliance, but was worried about the 60 amp breaker in the main panel. If I was using the 220v welder & the 110v heater at the same time is the 60 amp breaker going to protect it.

I know I will be putting a total of 90 amps of breakers (1 - 50 amp, & 2 - 20 amp) in the sub, off of a 60 amp breaker in the main, but the max amps it could draw is 70 amps based on how it will be used, & won't actually hit 70 amps as the heater doesn't produce a full or even the magic 80% allowable for a 20 amp circuit.

Would this be ok.

I have open slots in my main panel so I could wire a 12/3 seperate (not to the sub panel) but it would save me time & money if the above solution would be acceptable.

Thanks everyone in advance for you input!

Comments (6)