SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ohmmm_gw

Singing the sub panel blues

ohmmm_gw
9 years ago

Got them low down main panel, sub panel blues. Lots of photos below with some commentary under the photos.

I recently moved to a new house. Oh how I miss that shed and 3 car garage now!

Need to do some wiring corrective action.

This house was built in 1977 out in farm country. Final inspection on the electrical was done by the county I presume. And according to the label it was 11/1976.

The original house had no garage. A few years or so after the house was built, the then owner, decided to build a garage and attach it to the house himself. The garage is mostly recycled 2x lumber from what appears to be old barn wood. He made the trusses himself. Looks sketchy in places, but it has been standing since 1977, so I guess it worked.

At some point, a small 6 breaker subpanel was installed in the garage on the west wall by the back garage door. It's about 35 feet from the main panel if you stretched a line. The prior owner ran a line underground to his small shed on that side for a light and receptacle. Shed is about 20 feet from the sub panel.

Previous owner to me lived there for 31 years. And 1 or 2 prior owners before that. Plenty of time to do some interesting wiring projects.

The subpanel I want to do in the garage will be feeding receptacles and lighting for basic workshop. Vertical air compressor, shop vac, saws, overhead lighting. Nothing major. Would like to get a vehicle lift, but the overhead space is limited to 8ft. There is no drywall save for the house side. Previous owner put up OSB. I just finished spraying it with a water based fire retardant as a precaution.

Split level house. Block foundation. Gas furnace. Electric water heater. City water/sewer. Inside city limits.

Besides the need to upgrade the main panel, I am not really impressed with the subpanel install in the garage.

The main panel is located in the finished basement mounted to an outer block wall. The ceiling in most of the basement is dropped tiles. In the basement, there are 2 bedrooms, 1 family room, 1 small bath with shower stall, and the utility/laundry room.

A few questions:

1. The mains coming in. See photo. Hmmm...what is up with that? What could have caused that? Lightning or something else?

2. What am I looking at cost wise to have someone do that main panel upgrade to a 200amp unit?
There is plenty of space there for it vertically and probably another 8 inches available to the right.

Offer up any tips, suggestions, or observations.

My thumb is on about where the current main panel is in the basement. Those plans are original 1976. The basement has since been finished. About 5ft to the right of the lower right dimension arrow, is about where the subpanel in the garage is currently. The garage overhead door is even with the left side wall in the entry.

Most breakers are rated at 40C save for the two tandems which are rated 60/70C.

Uh oh. What happened here??

Getting a tad crowded there.

Someone used blue marker to mark this wire.

Prior owner's subpanel work.

How many cables can we jam though one hole game. And there seems to be a lack of proper connectors on said cables.

Is a ground wire going out to ground rods required here? Or is that only if the garage were detached?

Shop light plugs in here. Nice!

More quality work. Connections randomly about with no junction box.

Comments (12)