SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

Once you have Sub-zero, Miele, can you go back?

palimpsest
14 years ago

I have owned two places with two tiny kitchens (under 50 square feet). The first one also had a 6'7" ceiling; that kitchen got the real basics. A GE apartment fridge, Spacemaker OTR microwave, Spacemaker 18" DW, and a Magic Chef gas cooktop over electric oven mounted under counter.

Never had a problem with the cooktop, oven or microwave. Hated the DW because the water pressure blew things all over the inside of it (turned cups upside down, filled with water, utensils ended up in the bottom). Fridge had poor interior fit and finish, flimsy shelves and racks etc.

In the second kitchen, almost fully exposed to LR, I went with a Miele 18" Slimline DW, and a 27" wide Subzero 700 series fridge (paneled) . Love the DW--the SZ needed one new part a year in but knock on wood its been ok. Love the fit and finish of the interior, the shelves, the drawers, the lighting.

Now I am looking at houses, and all have the potential for large (well, 10x10 or 12--thats large here), kitchens in normal locations, and I am wondering: do I really want to spend $6000 on a SZ, Miele, Liebherr fridge this time around? If I am getting a full-sized DW and have a variety of choices between bottom of the barrel and top of the line, do I really want to spend $1500 on a DW? (in 18" 7 years ago you only had the extremes).

Has anybody gone from high end appliances to lower end and not missed them? I am not someone who can treat spending $6K on a fridge lightly...in my area people sometimes do it because of the dimensions: you see them in some otherwise pretty ordinary kitchens.

Comments (23)