SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mvdyk03

Maximum Hole Size through Bottom Plate

mvdyk03
16 years ago

I cannot for the life of me find the answer to this question. I am undertaking retrofitting/converting my first floor family room into a home theater room; to keep it "clean" all wiring will be "in wall" (coming "out") only at the wall-mounted TV, the wall-mounted speakers, and the A/V Rack.

The "video run" from the A/V rack to the TV presents somewhat of a problem since I need to run SEVERAL (component, composite, HDMI, coax, etc.) low voltage cables from my A/V rack to a box behind where the TV will be mounted. This will be accomplished by going down through the bottom plate in the wall behind the A/V rack, over in the basement (between the floor joists and the drop ceiling) and back up through the bottom plate of the wall behind the TV.

Now, here's the question. Since I'd like all of the wires to terminate in the one multi-gang box on each end, how big or how many holes can I put in the bottom plate of one construction bay (i.e. the space between two adjacent studs) before I need to worry about causing a structural integrity problem? Both of these walls are weight bearing, standard 2x4 construction.

Thanks in advance!!

--Matt

Comments (4)