SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spaghetina

Need to drill a hole through 12' of wood, boring bit gets stuck

spaghetina
14 years ago

Hi everyone! I usually hang out in the garden forums, but since this is more of a building question, I thought I'd dip my feet in different waters.

I'm trying to build a raised garden bed, which includes stacked landscaping timbers. To join them, I'm using 1/2 rebar, which requires that I drill down through all the lengths of timbers stacked upon each other. I've thought about trying to take them apart to drill the holes through each piece separately, but I would never be able to figure out how to get each hole in the exact right place, so instead, opted to buy a 16" wood boring bit to drill through them all at once.

The problem is, once I get to the bottom of the 12", I can't get the bit back out through the holes. Earlier today, pouring sweat and cursing under my breath, I had to nearly dismantle one of my beds in order to move the timbers around and wiggle the bit out of the bottom piece of wood, while all of the ones above it were stacked up on the bit, like rings on a finger.

Is there an easier way to get a 5/8" hole straight through 12" of lumber, or am I going to be stuck fighting that bit every step of the way?

Comments (39)