SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dosgardenias23

Electrician drilled hole through our hardwood floor - how to repair?

dosgardenias23
7 years ago

So our electrician was working on new ceiling lighting, and somehow managed to drill a hole through the upstairs hardwood floor. I know very little about flooring, but am imaging it would be very hard to replace just one slat of the wood. The hole is a probably an inch wide, because it was not a 90 degree drill, it came through the floor at an angle. What is the best way to repair this? It's in the middle of a relatively large room.

These floors were also just refinished, and there are no thresholds from one room to the next, so to refinish the floor in one room would, I think, mean to refinish the whole upstairs flooring. The flooring is red oak, originally installed in the 1960's, if that matters; it was just stained in Minwax Provincial, with a satin finish.

Trying to stay cool. Initially my response was that they could patch it however would look nicest, but they didn't need to replace the whole board. Now they've asked about filling it with wood filler, which I think would look awful. I'd like to have concrete idea about what solution would be best.

Comments (5)