SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
audsquad

New Hardwood flooring Cupping and Buckling

audsquad
16 years ago

We had hardwood floors installed in our new home in January. The floors sat in the house for over a week before being installed.

The floors are 3/8" Durawood Stained Brazilian Oak from LL.

Now that the summer is here and the humidity has gone up, we are noticing a significant amount of cupping, and in a few places the floors have started to buckle (the floor has formed lumps) and in two spots (in the DR and LR) the floor has actually popped up and is no longer attached to the subfloor.

We called our flooring guy (who lives down the street), and he said to run a dehumidifier in the basement and all will be fixed.

Dehumidifier has been running for a week, and the RH downstairs is at 70%, and upstairs is at 53%. We do not run AC because the house rarely goes over 75 degrees. I know the floors will not dry out overnight...but they don't seem to have gotten any better- maybe even worse.

The house is a cape style, unfinished attic (but insulated), unfinished basement.

I know some of the moisture is due to the lack of gutters (which we installed this week...finally!), inadequate attic ventilation (need to vent the bath exhausts through the roof which will be completed shortly), and the basement ceiling insulation has not been installed yet (Will be completed soon).

I live in Massachusetts- where it gets hot and humid inthe summer.

My questions are....

Is it OK to install the R-19 insulation- vapor barrier on the ceiling in the basement- now? While the RH level is still hovering just below 70% in the basement? Dehumidifier is removing approximatley 50 pints/day. If the subfloor is moist will the insulation "trap" the moisture there?

Should I run a dehumidifier on the main living floor where the RH is 53% Or, should I run an A/C (we have a window unit? Or is neither necessary?

Will my floors recover?

Should I insist the floor guy come and fix the issue? Or wait until the fall when the floors dry out? (If they do)

In some places there is a space still between the floorborad and the wall, but in other spaces it is pushing against it. I think the floors were installed in the winter when the RH was low and he didn't account for it by allowing adequate apacing between floor boards. HE claims it is all due to the moisture level in the basement. I think maybe the cupping will get better, but the buckled floorboards will not. Who is right?

Other than the cupping/buckling- the floor boards look OK.

Next summer...with my gutters working and diverting water, and the insulation installed with the vapor barrier, and a dehumidifier in the basement - will I have to be worried about my floors lifting again?

Anyone with any advice/wisdom/similar experiences???

Comments (24)