SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robin_nv

At my wits end

Robin_Nv
21 years ago

I would really appreciate any advice that anyone might have on my situation. I'll try and condense the story...

I have been dating someone for the past 2 1/2 years. When I met him, he was separated from his wife, and I from my husband. He has a 9 year old, and a 4 year old, I have an 11 year old. He has legally gotten divorced from his ex-wife, but I haven't (I've been separated for over 3 years).

Without bad-mouthing someone I have never met, his ex always sounded very manipulating, over-bearing and domineering. It was the main reasons why he left her. I always knew that I wouldn't stay in the city I was living in for long, my son and family were on the other coast. I was basically there to restart my career after leaving my "ex". I was the first real relationship he had after his ex, and he was mine.

To try and condense this, his ex ended up moving to Japan, with the kids, for a job. I ended up moving back to the west coast, after figuring out a way to work out of my home with the same company I worked for on the east coast. We've been doing the long distance thing now since July. He decided to try and transfer to the west coast now as well. He is planning on giving me an engagement ring for Christmas. I am planning on moving to the city he's trying to get transferred to. We spent two weeks together in October, and I recently found out I'm pregnant. I am happy about that, and I can honestly say that we wanted it to happen...it wasn't a mistake.

Here's the main problem....his ex. Once she found out he was planning on moving to the west coast, her claws really came out. When she found out I was pregnant, she's gone off the rocker. She told him that if he moves to the other coast, he can't see his kids in the summer. If he's with me, he can't see his kids anymore, and to just walk away from me and don't think another thing about this baby.

My boyfriend has always been, what I feel, intimidated by her, and now I am hearing doubt and depression in his voice. She got a very nice settlement...all she demanded (he didn't get a lawyer, just signed the papers). Two houses (he gets to pay off the home equity loans), a big child support, health and life insurance, and he only gets to see the kids when she comes to the states for 6 weeks in the summer to her mother's. He supported her for a solid year right before she left for Japan because she wouldn't/couldn't get a job, and now he's trying to pay off all the credit cards he ran up doing it. I don't know what to do. Let me add, we're neither one a young kid. He's 42 and I'm 38. I don't know how to break this unhealthy hold that she has on him, nor make him understand that she cannot keep the kids from him it's against the law, and that he needs to stand up to her once and for all.

Any suggestions? It's funny...none of my friends or family knows this is going on, yet I can talk to strangers.

Thanks,

Robin

Comments (7)