SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jmzms

at my wit's end - puppy potty training

jmzms
16 years ago

She's the most adorable-looking 17 week old Samoyed. She's smart - has already learned several basic commands (come, sit, down, come-sit, etc.). But she just can't get this potty training thing.

She holds it 8-9 hours in her crate at night, so it's not a matter of bladder control. We've tried reward (treat) training, we've tried the bell at the door. She's tethered to us with a leash or in her crate when we're home. But she still doesn't get it. Here's a few examples:

1. Take her to the door, and as I'm slipping my shoes on, she squats and pees.

2. Ask her if she has to go potty, she rings the bell to signal yes, take her out to her potty place. She sits and looks at me like "where's my treat?" ... no potty.

3. Come home at lunch (after 5-6 hours without an accident). Take her out and she goes potty. Give her a little "play time" with our older dog. Comes in, drinks a little water, and then has "rest time." Take her back out to pee before I leave. Three hours later, hubby comes home and she peed in her crate.

Things to note. This is not my first puppy to potty train. I've successfully trained others without this much difficulty. Her crate is the appropriate size (just enough room to turn around and lay down). We try to monitor her water intake (how little is too little?). I do think that our 5 year old German Shepherd has an impact (they're constantly wanting to play together), but we really do try to keep them separated except for specifically supervised play times.

I know I'm probably gonna catch some flack for this next statement, but I'm just being honest in hopes that someone has some advice. I am so frustrated and angry that I can barely be in the room with her right now. I've spent most of today in tears because I'm upset that I'm so upset with her...it breaks my heart. I'm not one of those people who can just toss their pet aside. My pets are my children. I'm so afraid that my frustration/anger will continue to grow and I'll lose my patience. And that the relationship we're trying to build will be un-repairable.

I really do not need to get beat up in this post (although I know I run that risk here), but please understand, I am an emotional wreck right now and am simply seeking advice (and perhaps a consoling word or two). I simply don't know what else to do or try with her.

Can anyone relate? Does anyone have any other ideas or suggestions to try? Has anyone sent their puppy to some sort of puppy-potty-training school?

Comments (17)