SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jakabedy_gw

vintage Wormley chairs - awesome or hideous?

jakabedy
12 years ago

I ran across some chairs at a local shop today that I knew were "something" but I couldn't place just what. Now that I've had time to research, I see they are Edward Wormley for Dunbar. They're cool and clearly early mid-century (1940s), if not necessarily "modern", which is more my thing. First Dibs has them for $2250 each, and there is a pair on ebay for $3,800 -- not sure if those are realistic values, though. The local ones I can get for about $300 for the pair. They need tightening up and the upholstery needs to be burned and the ashes sent into orbit, but the chairs are in good shape.

The problem is, I'm not sure I really LIKE them, you know? Maybe I'm just psyched about the great deal. I'm looking for chairs for my office, and some cool upholstery would do wonders for them. I could always get them and redo them and then sell them, but I'm not sure the demand is there. So I'd have to be able to use them, pending dumping them.

The First Dibs chair:

The local chairs (love the 1970s patch-tweed, don't you?):

Would you feel like you were in a fun house if these were the guest chairs in a professional's office? A bit too Alice in Wonderland? Space-age Colonial?

Here is a link that might be useful: ebay chairs

Comments (25)