SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
parma42

Awesome Investment?

parma42
15 years ago

Does anyone else, who happens to live in or by a large city, get these Craigslisters from out of town/state, who think you're idiots?

They "researched" this wonderful bedroom set and decided that for just $4,000 we city slickers would want to jump all over this?

Because of the phrasing, I don't believe this is a case of a missing decimal point.

Here is a link that might be useful: Awesome Investment

Comments (80)

• brutuses
    15 years ago

DD and Parma, didn't know if you covered this one.

Vintage = Filthy

I hope to God my grandmother didn't sit on something like this.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

How about this - only $2000 (not a typo) for unique pieces made in Africa out of.....camel bones!

http://nwct.craigslist.org/fuo/1075843596.html

Moving out of country, must hurry!

• Related Discussions

Bad CraigsList (CL) postings thread

Q

Comments (116)
    This one has it all: rot iron, chester drawers, lots of helpful ideas for fixing up all the broken pieces, even the reason she is selling her stuff. You really feel like you know her by the time you read to the end. Here is a link that might be useful: She must be blonde LOL
    ...See More

MY Awesome Investment from CL

Q

Comments (27)
    That you all for the compliments, though of course I had nothing to do with the creation of this piece. It is not in pristine condition. The camera flash has given it a nicer patina than it really has, and it has some dings and gouges, and the back has horizontal cracks - none of which bother me in the least. It's still an incredible value. The Baltimore and Annapolis areas seem to have a lot of older pieces, coming out of old row homes as people die off and young people come in to renovate - this is my guess. Cooperbailey - it was the Annapolis CL - we picked it up from Kent Island. I pulled out the drawers and was able to read a manufacturer's tag and deduce the approximate date of manufacture. I was pretty sure it was Hepplewhite. I will take better photos and ask for opinions on the Furniture forum.
    ...See More

The investment house is DONE. Pics

Q

Comments (39)
    I'm angry. I took before photos and saved them on a flash drive. I have not been able to find that @&%! flash drive anywhere! All I have are photos from the last time it was listed. The decorations detract from how truly awful it was when stripped nekkid. (Hmmmm....kind of like me. A little makeup, and a little designer outfit detract from how awful I look when stripped nekkid! LOL!) Here are shots I swiped from the MLS from a few years back: Master before. This pic doesn't look too bad. In person, the "red" was garish and bright, and very unsettling. Part of the psycho kitchen before: The furnishings *really* detract from how awful this room looked. The green was everywhere, and the room felt like a cave. I actually liked the green toile wallpaper here. But it was peeling pretty badly, and it didn't go too well with the "restful calming" feel I was trying to create. This pic shows the horrid wallpaper in the master bath. Oy.
    ...See More

Best (inexpensive!) investment I've made for my AVs

Q

Comments (2)
    Some stuff is outdated - not all the recommended varieties are available, not all the insecticides are here - plus you do not need to use a Texas potting method by the book. But it gives you a better understanding of the plant behavior - why it does what it does - and what you can do to control it in a desirable way. GOOD BOOK. Gives you wings to fly.
    ...See More
  • brutuses
    15 years ago

Isn't that a coincidence. Just this morning I was telling DH I wanted to get something made out of camel bones!!

• parma42
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Another addition for Dilly's list before I head out to the store.

Like and/or inspired. Two seemingly innocuous words that when used by the devious CLers include Eames, Van der Rohe, Heywood Wakefield, etc. in the title = worthless old junk that defies description.

I *do* need to get a life.

• User
    15 years ago

This thread is hysterical.

When something is described "good for a starter home" it always makes you wonder...

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

Oh yeah! I haven't seen that one in a while but the phrase is popular.

good for a starter home = good for BBQ starter

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

What are the odds of finding the matching buffet piece to that table a 150 miles away? Twins separated at birth soon to be reunited in some lucky person's dining room?

{{!gwi}} Disco Inferno

Who says CL is a waste of time? Huh?

----------

Ad says originally $129. Hahahaha.

{{!gwi}}

It looks like it has eyes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Art?

• parma42
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Since you seem to be in the mood for white and glass, dilly, I can save you the time and just show you a complete set.

Here is a link that might be useful: You say you like white?

• polly929
    15 years ago

Here's another one for your list:

Shabby Chic = It's a piece of crap, but I painted it white and now I want you to buy it because "shabby chic" is in.

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

Parma42, thanks, now I understand where the term "white elephant" came from. LOL. I thought it was a black and white photo at first, until I saw the sunflower arrangement on the table peeking from behind the chair.

------

Polly929 you got that right! You would not believe the odd styles I've seen painted white called and then called 'shabby' chic'. "I heard if you paint it white, and then throw it down the basement steps, city folks will buy it."

• parma42
    Original Author
    15 years ago

BTW, just to keep current...the subject of the OP has relisted today.

Evidentally, he didn't find any Chicagoland people that jumped on his $4,000 *investment*.

• remodelqueen
    15 years ago

I'm looking for a nice French Prudential piece, let me know if you all find a good investment for me! ;) lol!!!!!!!!!

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

I love CL typos! That could fill a whole 'nother thread.

A month ago someone had *free blue (c)hair* in their driveway.

Someone posted a rot iron patio chair and I thought it was a typo until I saw the photo. LOL.

• bbstx
    15 years ago

ROFL with tears streaming down my face!

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

Overstuffed = seller is definitely full of something

• parma42
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just adds charm = broken beyond repair.

Times must be really tough. I've just seen this phrase on five different posts, today. And, no, they weren't *charming*.

• Sueb20
    15 years ago

Oh, our CL is full of "rod iron" pieces.

I'm reading with interest (and chuckles) because I've been having a CL extravaganza lately. We are giving our basement a facelift, as cheaply as possible. So first, I listed a bunch of stuff for sale on CL: a desk, 2 mirrors, a set of end tables, a kiddie table and chair. I sold everything within a week, to the first person to look at each, and for full price (which means I should have asked more, I suppose, but I was happy to just get rid of this random stuff). And tomorrow, I'm going to pick up a CL chair for my room. However, while I've been hunting for chairs on CL, I have seen some really crazy stuff. Here's an interesting table. The sideways photos are extra helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: fish table

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

sueb: Believe it or not, my sister is really into the tropical fish thing. She even had (has?) a coffee table very much like that. Those things are quite pricey.

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

Posted by brutuses: DD and Parma, didn't know if you covered this one. Vintage = Filthy

Brutuses, thanks for the CL Code addition! Why is it that everything listed as "vintage" looks like it has been marinated?

The most overused word on CL is *BEAUTIFUL* Why do they always say *beautiful*?

"Look at this one here Honey."
    "It looks like a POS."
    "No, look here. The ad says it is beautiful"
    "Oooooh. OK. Now I see it. It's, it's ⫠⩠⬠⪠beautiful ⩠⫠⬠âª."

They have an entire section on CL called Garage Sales. So then why does everybody title their listing 'garage sale/rummage sale/estate sale/tag sale? We KNOW it is a garage sale already for pete's sake. Why not put the date(s) in the title? Make it easy so we don't have to read the whole ad to find the date. And put the location with the title in the city spot right on the listing page. People do not want to waste time searching for the location in the text of the ad only to find out that the person is a hundred miles away. :Vent:

{{!gwi}}

"Every time an angel sings a wooden chair gets it's wings."

{{!gwi}}

Whooo. Wants this one? I wouldn't be able to sleep with this on my nightstand. Watching. Just watching. Waiting to strike.

• User
    15 years ago

oh goodness, I am LMAO over the owls....

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

Did somebody mention fish tables?!? How about this beauty....Yes, those are dead fish posed as swimmers.

{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}Just listed!

Anyone need a night lite that will guarantee that your little ones won't get up and wander around in the middle of the night?

{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}$50 and just listed today!

Slogan: Craigslist.......You just can't make this stuff up."

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

Haven't we all felt like this in the morning at some time?

{{!gwi}}

Seller makes a point to indicate that the lightbulb is included in the sale.

• parma42
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Too many paint posts, lately. First thing that caught my eye was the green door.

Love your fish table. Looks more Northern Wisconsin than Milwaukee, though.

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

I just got around to reading this thread, it's a keeper, so funny !!!!!!!!!!!

The first fish table listing shown said "Used in tanning salon" ; talk about unnecessary info.

parma, you and I think alike, I also zeroed in on that green door, and I could name that paint color. I have to take a break/ hiatus, lol...........

• lkplatow
    15 years ago

This thread is too funny!

Dilly...did I read that you post the results to your scammer reply on your blog? You must post a link to the blog so we can all share! Please? Pretty please? If that's breaking a GW rule or something, please just email it to me - you can get my email via my gardenweb My Page. Thanks!

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

Anyone want a 'rose mauled' chair? I'm posting the link just so no one can say I make this stuff up:

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/fuo/1103440303.html

{{!gwi}}

It's got the heart shaped hole in it. Why did they not mention the "fine Amish craftsmanship" from the :CL Code:?

Who is looking for a "Chip and Dale" chair, huh? Here is the link so you don't think I made this one up.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/fuo/1103474577.html

{{!gwi}}

A "Chip and Dale" chair. ROTFLMAO. I'm wiping coffee off my monitor screen right now. It looks like Dale and his brother Chip were Siamese twins. Chair is overpriced to boot.

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

Just to add another awesome investment, how about this vintage travel trailer. Sold from the "burning man" no less who has several other groovy things for sale.

At some point, you just gotta junk it.... COme to think of it, I bet that's where he gets his merchandise. Cool, business opportunity. Resell junk yard stuff.

There were lots more like this vintage puppy as well.

Classic=vintage=POC

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintage travel Trailer

• ladyamity
    15 years ago

I just wanted to say a very big THANK YOU!
    OMG I can't remember the last time I laughed this long, and this hard....my tummy muscles ache!

I just finished re-reading this post for the second time.

I thought I laughed hard the first time...nope, second time around is just as, if not more hilarious!

Today's been a blah one for me...this post is just what the doctor ordered....again, THANK YOU!

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

That's too much money for it but those old trailers are really cool. I'd actually like to have something like that for Hubby and me and the kids.

"Burning Man" is a huge annual gathering way out in the desert. No facilities or anything other than what people haul in (then back out at the end) so something like this would be good.

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

Amity, feel free to ad your own CL hilarity!

Parm & Mitch, I never even noticed the green door until you pointed it out. Now I am wondering what is "Behind The Green Door". {{!gwi}}

-----------

Soooo, today I am still looking for lamps and I have expanded my searching area. So what do I find? Twins separated at birth. Again.

At first I thought it was the same lamp posted in another geographical area relisted today. I wondered why they would raise the price from $20 to $75 since it did not sell the first time 'round. But noooooooooooo. Different house setting. Different lampshade. Different price. And gee, one is from 1980 and the other from the '60s. LOL.

{{!gwi}} {{!gwi}}

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/for/1103664378.html

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/fuo/1101174290.html

This goes to show how using a good photographer can make or break your ad. The MKE one looks like they are ready to pick the flesh off your bones as soon as you stop paying attention and let yourself drift off to sleep in your recliner. The CHI one, eh, not so much.

*Update: If you put in search for *Lamps* on CL you will get a listing of all sorts of reptiles for sale. It seems that when someone sells a reptile or large hairy spider, they include the terrarium and heat lamp. Just a heads-up for the squeamish.

• parma42
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"*Update: If you put in search for *Lamps* on CL you will get a listing of all sorts of reptiles for sale. It seems that when someone sells a reptile or large hairy spider, they include the terrarium and heat lamp. Just a heads-up for the squeamish.

Same goes for *mirror*. Hundreds and hundreds of cars show up.

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

They must have used my Cl Codes as a handy reference guide. Yes, the ad says "Unique" and it does look like someone's first attempt at decoupage.

{{!gwi}} {{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Unique

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

Who were these Stone Age Peoples who wandered the Downtown Valley leaving artifacts, now uncovered in thrift stores and resale shops throughout the region? Were they nomadic and moved on, taking their Calla lily sconces with them? Or did they assimilate with the Bronze Age peoples, those of the HoneyOak&Brass culture, who worshiped Geese with bonnets? Though no recent photographs of this tribe exist, there are reported sighting of wobbly, bent Torchiere lamps hanging out of green dumpsters, giving clue that they may still live among us.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}} {{!gwi}}

New listings this week!

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/fuo/1113545649.html

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/fuo/1112956598.html

CL Code:

only selling because we need the space = to make room for some awesome new replacement furniture being delivered

• parma42
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We have Stone Age peeps in Chicago, too.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Relatives?

• parma42
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Found these is the feathered friends if your new lamp get lonely.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

BTW Dilly, when DO you sleep (noticing time stamp on your post)?.

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

My new lamp?!? Haha. Owls are creepy. I never understood the fascination with decorating with carnivorous birds of prey.

:Vent: do people not realize how important it is to use a decent photo and clear all the junk out of the room and off the piece? Apparently not.

This is the desk:

{{!gwi}} This is the crib listed by the same person. {{!gwi}}

Patio furniture anyone? Even if one is a "night person" set the alarm clock and get up to take the photo when the sun is out please:

{{!gwi}}

-----------

I've been looking for lamps on CL recently. I never knew such wierd ugly things existed.

{{!gwi}}

I love you warts and all.

Oh looky here, I can kill two birds with one stone and get a glass topped table AND a lamp that match. Kewl. I didn't even do a search for 'glass top table' AND 'lamp' and this beaut fell right into my lap.

{{!gwi}}

---------

I clicked on a link for ^^^Waterbed Queen^^^ and it was just a boring picture of an oak bed with a quilt, no tiara, nothing. The *Coach with Loveseat* listed didn't even have wheels.

--------

To answer your question.........I work nights a lot. I am now juggling two part time jobs.

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

Just had to add these two gems.

Here is a link that might be useful: One of a Kind lamp

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

No picture, spelling OK in title (unlike all the amores and amuas I see advertised) - but is this for someone who likes to snack in bed LOL?

Here is a link that might be useful: Bed and matching shelf

• parma42
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ajsmama, hmmm, I love canapes and beds, maybe it's calling my name.

Another addition to Dilly's list.

Fabulous = only a sucker would open this pic.

Seems I can be quite the stupid one, myself. I can't count the number of times I've reopened this ad. Anything that has both curved and credenza in the same post...

Here is a link that might be useful: Fabulous curved buffet/credenza

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

There are no words to convey this one:

Here is a link that might be useful: Ahem........

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

Glad to know some people still remember high school Latin ;-)

• parma42
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Eeewwww, dilly!

I have two aunts that live in Greenfield. Hope they've never had a run in with that sofa bed.

The Stanley bedroom set that was the start of the OP was just relisted at the same price, as was the EA dog chewed sofa/love seat set for $6,000 and the *fabulous*, curved credenza.

• parma42
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Funky=...I can't even think of one. I just know I'll never
    be able to see the word in the same light again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Funky example of how to fit in a chair.

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

My CL in my area has been very normal and boring. The only chuckles I've had is what comes up when using search terms in the CL search box for things I am looking for. Odd items come up in searches and are funny sometimes only because they are definately not even close to what I am searching for, like when I was searching for 'lamp' and got live scorpions and live snakes as a result.

My father is being sent home from the nursing home due to insurance reasons and he is not ready for hospice. I have been buying home care equipment on CL; potty chair, shower transfer bench, hand held sprayer, wheeled walker, riser, over bed table, ect.

The one thing I cannot find on CL is a decent wheel chair. Today my search terms turned up this little number:

{{!gwi}}

Imagine him riding in style to his clinic appointments. LOL. It's not meant to be a 'wheel chair' but I can't figure out what it is meant to be used for. It's a chair, with wheels, that looks like a butterfly for $1,800.

I think search terms 'chair' with 'hand brakes' brought this beaut up.

{{!gwi}}

Note the ad says the thumb is the cup holder. LOL. Not only am I wondering "who would buy that and put it in their living room" but I wonder who would come up with something like that to manufacture? Who brainstormed this? How did the meeting go? "I got it guys. Chairs. That look like hands!" "But where will they put their beer?" :Silence: :Rumblings: :Silence: "We'll put cup holders in the thumb." "Brilliant!" :Applause:

• pam-md
    14 years ago

Dilly,

Does he have Medicare? Medicare used to pay for a wheel chair rental. It's been years since I was in that business so I don't know what the deal is these days but you might want to inquire.

• parma42
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ditto

My dad got one from Medicare.

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

Thank you for the concern and advice. Unfortunately in his case, a wheelchair is deemed by Medicare to be a "luxury". They have rules.

Medicare only covers a wheelchair if it is absolutely necessary for mobility in the home, not for mobility outside the home. So if he can "get around" the house, even in pain, and falls down all the time, he does not qualify for a wheel chair.

With his physical problems he needs a wheeled walker to be able to get around the house and has one. He also has severe Alzheimers, so he never recognizes it, and forgets how to use it or to use the brakes. Every day is a repeat lesson on it's use. Due to his Alzheimers he cannot be left alone - ever, so one has to either pack him up and bring him along, or get a sitter to stay with him. It would be so much easier to plop him in a wheelchair to take him along and to use it to take him for his doctor visits. Right now it takes a half an hour to get him out of the house and coax him to shuffle down the broken sidewalk to the garage. It would be sooooo much easier to just rumble him down the sidewalk in a wheelchair. He has fallen down in the past and with a wheelchair he would be safer.

I've already done research, phones calls and talked to an advocate at the senior center in town to see what can be done, and no help is forthcoming. It's just easier to find a wheelchair on CL and have the problem solved. No paperwork to deal with either.

Maybe tomorrow will be my lucky Craiglist find day......

Craigslist rocks!

• parma42
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Not to beat a dead horse, Dilly, but my dad's in a nursing home with dementia. If yours is still there, can you see if *they* can try to get one for you? It's the least they can do if he's been private pay.

All mine did was to put the paperwork in and, presto, one appeared, free of charge.

You can email me any time you get overwhelmed or just need to unload.

• Circus Peanut
    14 years ago

Ha - saw this bookcase listed today and was reminded of yet another Craig's List sin: Failure To Adequately Crop.

• nhb22
    14 years ago

LOL Oh my...I have a few of those. Riley loves to be in all my photos.