SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
unitedmarsupials

Taking over security alarm in my house.

doofus
10 years ago

Hello!

We are grossly unhappy and frustrated with the alarm-installer, who wired our house for security. What he did do seems fine, but what he omitted (a couple of windows aren't covered, there is no night-mode programmed) remains to be completed three years later.

Other professional installers seem bent on replacing everything with their own stuff, but there are plenty of alarm-systems sold to consumers on Amazon and I'm seeking recommendations.

Our current "base station" is GEM-P1632 by Napco. We don't have the installer-code for it and will, likely, need to replace it anyway. But I loath replacing all of the sensors -- dreading the cost of both parts and the labor (my own) -- so I'd very much like for the replacement to "just work" with the current sensors. Then I'll be able to simply add a few, that are missing and do the necessary programming myself. I'm quite ignorant of the market of these devices at the moment, so I'm not sure, what the interoperability between brands is like, etc. I am not opposed sticking with Napco, if I have to, but it would've been nicer to have more options.

Recommendations for a monitoring company would be welcome too. We aren't unhappy with the current monitoring folks, but we were "sold" to them by the installer, which may make it impossible for us to remain monitored by them after we officially ditch him.

Thanks!
doofus

Comments (10)