SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

'critical' ZoneAlarm Security Update

jenn
15 years ago

We have the free version of ZoneAlarm. Starting about a day ago, a pop-up box delivers the following message....

A critical ZoneAlarm Security Update is now available. This update is required to resolve a problem with the Microsoft Update KB951748, which may cause loss of internet access for ZoneAlarm users on Windows 2000 and XP.

...then offers the usual "Update now" or "Remind me later" options.

So I thought gee, I'd better get this critical security update! So, I opted to update now, which took me to this page...

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/cfu/en/zaAEN.html?ver=70_483_000&oem=1023_zl&offer=offer_syscheckup

where I can "try or buy" products from retailers who will pay for the product, via their new TrialPay partnership. Whoa! Apparently there's no obligation, I just have to provide my first name, last name, and email address.

Hmmmmm...... is it just me, or do I smell a fish? A *critical* security update is offered but it requires jumping through a hoop to get it.

Has anyone else seen this? I clicked the "Remind me later" option so I can sleep on this overnight.

Comments (8)