House finch taking over

hokiemom

How do I prevent house finch from taking over. I feed only BOSS. I have 5 feeders, from tube, to hopper, no no feeder which is like mesh clinger, clinger only feeder and covered squirrel proof droll Yankees.

I have a variety of birds in a large open area about an acre bordered by mature trees. The hf come in droves and allow very few other species to feed.

Thanks

SaveComment4Like
Comments (4)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GoldfinchGuy

I would suggest using whole peanuts and an upside down thistle feeder. House finches wont eat whole peanuts, but birds like woodpeckers, jays, and nuthatches will. You can offer these on a tray or platform feeder, or you can simply scatter some on a table or fencepost. Upside down thistle feeders are designed specially for goldfiches and chickadees because they can feed hanging upside down whereas house finches cant. Just be mindful that thistle seed will cost you a bit more than other seeds.

Save    
feather_z9_ncacoast

what's wrong with feeding house finches? Why not set up a feeder just for the finches and use other feeders designed for a variety of birds as suggested above? Now House *Sparrows* I would understand, but why not house finches?

Save    
creekgirl

House Finches are a non-native, invasive species outside of the US southwest. Having been foolishly introduced to the northeast, they have since spread nationwide, displacing native finches and sparrows:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_finch

They mob my feeder and take up all the perches. Not only are they messy eaters, they plant themselves and sit there taking up space whether eating or not. Polite native birds that fly in to take a seed and fly off, like Chickadees and Titmice, don't have a chance, until/unless a Red-Bellied Woodpecker lands and scares the House Finch mob away. These gluttonous, noisy and impolite House Finches are costing me a fortune in bird seed, moreover they spread conjunctivitis.

I read that a screen feeder helps with the House Finch problem, as they are supposedly perching birds that won't cling to the side of a screen. I bought a tubular screen birdfeeder of a size to hold my usual black sunflower seeds. Hope it helps.

Save    
lindaaholt

Sounds like my yard. Today is day four of not filling my squirrel proof perch feeder I have a screened Nyjer feeder only. I also took down a nest in my soffit but there are still many crooks and crannies in my 1945 clapboard cottage. Don’t know what else to do. They even try to guard the birdbaths. I don’t want to harm them just push them to new area. I was starting to get Bluebirds but saw house finch chase it ☹️

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Design Kitchen of the Week: Taking Over a Hallway to Add Needed Space
A renovated kitchen’s functional new design is light, bright and full of industrial elements the homeowners love
Full Story
How to Photograph Your House Take Better Photographs of Your House in a Snap
Let your home show its true colors with these tips for photographing with the right camera settings, lighting and more
Full Story
How to Photograph Your House Take Better Photos of Your House in a Snap: Part 2
Think like a professional photographer and learn to capture stunning images of your home
Full Story