SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bppark

200 AMP conventional wisdom

bppark
16 years ago

In a couple of recent threads I've seen various people repeat the conventional wisdom that for a household upgrade, always go to 200 amp because you never know when you might need the additional capacity, and electrical usage historically tends to increase (60 amp used to be "adequate," then 100, then 150, etc.).

You hear this all the time.

But I recently had an upgrade and the electrician willingly went to 200 but he said something I've never heard before: he said it's typical, it's expected, it's what realtors and buyers will want to see when we sell the house and move, but it's probably too much. "You'll never need it." He said today's appliances (such as refrigerators and air conditioners) are much more energy efficient than they wre even ten years ago, and they're going to be getting better. Coupled with the trend toward compact flourescent bulbs and other energy-conscious devices, the trend toward ever-increasing power consumption may be flattening out.

Just thought I'd toss that out there and see what reactions you folks might have.

Comments (12)