SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wjsmall

Putting my old dog down - Need wisdom

wjsmall
9 years ago

I posted here 8 months ago about our old dog - even then, we were aware that she was not in good shape and were beginning to think of putting her down. Fast forward eight months. We still have our girl but know the time is fast approaching when we will have to say goodbye to her.

Our now 17 year old Jack Russell is almost completely deaf, quite blind, and suffering from canine dementia. She poops and pees in the house with abandon, no longer recognizing that she should be doing these outside. Thispooping/peeing in the house has gone on for 2+ years. She can walk but her gait is unsteady, and she can no longer navigate the one step we have going from inside to outside. We have two other dogs who pick on her so she needs to be separated from them. And she barely acknowledges us and rarely allows us to pet her. Her day is pacing, sleeping, eating (which she still loves), drinking, and pooping and peeing in the house.

Both my husband and I know it is time to put her down. We live in the NE and there is no way she could handle another winter. Our floors are being refinished in two weeks and we all have to move out for 24 hours. The two younger dogs can be boarded, but this poor old dog would be traumatized by being sent to the kennel. Two years ago we took her to the Adirondacks and she was traumatized the entire time because it was an unfamiliar environment, even though she used to love it there when she was young and healthy. A kennel stay would do her in.

So we are thinking of putting her down in the next week or two. I am already guilt-ridden and feel as though I am betraying her - what right do I have to choose to end her life? Her life is not a good one - when she was younger she was a dog who truly loved being a dog - there is nothing left of that dog - but I still question whether I have the right to make a life and death decision.

I am obviously struggling and would love input form others who have been there. Thank you.

Comments (25)