SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spencer_electrician

dangers of 60 amp 3 phase fryer on 50 amp cord cap & receptacle

I'm working for a master electrician currently wiring a churches chicken restaurant. I brought up a question today that I would like input on. For the 5 friers that specify 60 amp three phase we pulled in 3 #4 wires (derating involved in a busway to the panel) and a #10 ground through 1 inch emt. Today I saw him putting in the receptacles and said "hey those 60 amp receptacles look a lot like 50's. He said they are but what's the difference? I said well the receptacle and plug arn't rated for a 60 amp circuit.

He then said well look at those thick blades of copper on the plug, think it would make a difference if it carried 10 more amps. Then I though well maybe not but it is still a code. He said the 60 amp receptacles and plugs cost hundreds of dollars. I said well we'll see when the inspector comes next week. He said we will have all the friers plugged in and scooted in by then so he probably won't notice. I was also concerned with the orientation of the receptacle being 120/240 and not 208 3 phase. He plans on remarking the white wires of the soow cord blue. Guess if someone plugged in a 120/240 appliance in the future the controls would be visited by some lovely 208 volts.

Is this a dangerous situation using a 4-wire 50 amp receptacle and plug for a 60 amp three phase, no neutral commercial fryer? Could the receptacle over heat? I told him that I think the inspector will notice that they are residential range connections and not 60 amp commercial equipment. Think this is something they will check?

Comments (11)