SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mom_of_2_5

Change our parenting plan?

mom_of_2.5
15 years ago

This isn't so much a "step" issue, and might be completely normal but I need some advice. My 13 year old daughter is making me crazy and breaking my heart. Believe it or not I'm complaining about my bio child! When I try to talk to her she locks her jaw, stares right through me and just cries. I have tried calm questions, I've tried reasoning, I've gotten angry and I can't seem to get her to engage. She squeels, stomps her feet, is just generally a snot for me. Her answer to everything (if I get an answer) is "I don't know" I have had it. I have made so many sacrifices for her, have always made her the center of my life and it just breaks my heart she's so cold to me.

Not too long ago when questioning her about missing homework she actually proclaimed "I'm not going to participate in this conversation." As if ansering to me is optional! UGH... So, anyway I know most 13 year olds test their Moms like this, but she wouldn't act this way for her Daddy! She wouln't dream of not answering him, or growling at him and she admits that she would not treat him the way she treats me, but she can't explain why I deserve less.

So, talking it over with her Dad he suggests she stay with him for a month for her to realize how much she misses me or how much I do for her. I'm not completely opposed to such a suggestion however, I think it sends the messege 'if you stomp on me enough, you can have what you've always wanted and go live with your Daddy' I think it rewards bad behavior.

I will be painfully honest too, and admit I'm scared she'll go there and her SM will be so wonderful she won't miss me a bit or realize anything. What if the grass realy is greener on the other side of the street? I told her Dad I'd consider it, he then text me "maybe rotating every two weeks?" That makes me think he's more interested in rearranging our parenting plan to benefit himself.

My objective is not to "keep her away" from her Dad, and we are lucky enough to live just six miles apart so there would be no disruption to her school, as it is now, she's bussed from our house to the school near his house.

So, my question I guess is your opinions on do you think she might realize what I do for her if we made this change? Do you think it opens a can of worms I can't close once opened? I anticipate the argument (from Dad) "she can stay with us when it's convenient for you" if I decide I don't like the arrangement and want her home full time again.

Thanks in advance for lending your ear and advice :)

Comments (14)