SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ccinindiana

Builders poor planning or ours? change orders

ccinindiana
15 years ago

Hello everyone,

We are on week two of our build and have had a major shock dollar wise!! We met with our builder for several months prior to starting the build. We contracted for a walk-out basement, and specified we needed a lot that would accomodate that, a pool and a fence for our dogs. Our builder assured us the lot we picked met that criteria. The only "not sure how it will play out" he talked about was how far across the back our walk out would go due to the way the hill fell. We knew we'd need a 7' retaining wall on the left side of the walk out.

Our lot is at the bottom on a hill and there are four more houses up the street above us. They began to dig the basement out last week and we were concerned that it appeared our walk out patio would be to grade, but you'd have to climb steps to reach our back yard and pool. That is not at all what we envisioned.

Called a meeting with our builder, pool builder and concrete man. We all met at the site. Builder tells us the only way to have our pool level with the patio is to put up an additional retaining wall along the back of the property line. It ends up being a 52' brick retaining wall. Total cost for concrete, excavator, labor and brick is almost 7400.00. We about died. We were concerned about our pool fitting. He assured us a 14' across pool and the 3-4 feet of decking required would still fit.

Today we go to check the progress and the footers have been poured for the basement and retaining wall from hell. We realize that with the retaining wall we still don't have access to a substantial part of the back yard (where the kids want their trampoline) unless we go around to the front along the left side of the house.

There is no access from our patio/pool area. In addition it appears the posts for our deck land several feet into where the pool would be. Called builder today to ask could we have steps going up from the patio area to that part of the yard. Sure we can for another 2500.00!

I asked the builder why our yard has to be tiered in the first place. There is not another house in our neighborhood where someone has to walk up steps to part of their yard. He said we couldn't grade the entire yard due to drainage issues. We sit about the bottom of the hill. Should our builder have anticipated this stuff before hand? Doesn't a walk-out basement mean you walk out to your yard. The right side of our house has a huge nice flat side side yard. But you can't put a pool on the side of your house can you?

I hope I am explaining this clearly enough so people can understand what I mean! Our lot is a corner lot that sits higher on the left and slopes down towards the right.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! Cathi

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert