SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kdm121

Builder Now Trying to Charge Change Order Fee?

Katherine Dale
10 years ago

We are building our first home and the investor has been a bit of a disaster. They don't really have much experience with this and it has been a somewhat painful experience. We went with this house based on the lot (which unfortunately came with this investor/builder combo), but are somewhat regretting our experience.

Either way, we went under contract a few months ago and the foundation was just poured. The chain of command is quite silly as it goes our agent > their agent > their investor who mulls things over and eventually gets back to us. As a planner, I've sent over my changes (which are pretty minor) well in advance so they have plenty of notice (they are minor changes like upgrading trim, doors, etc.).

About a month ago, they mentioned that they will be instituting a "$150 change order fee" for any change orders- whether or not they are actually actually approved. Our agent said that they cannot do this as it is not in the contract we signed... but she said to lay low with it and see if they actually tried to apply it. Yesterday, I finally got word that they selected the interior designer- I spoke with her and she said they mentioned a $150 change order to her, too.

I asked my agent to address this last night as I don't want to meet with the interior designer until this is resolved. My agent assured me that she would get in touch with their agent. I still haven't heard back and just sent my agent an email about it again as this needs to be resolved. I feel like my agent is playing both sides of the fence, but the overall question is- can the "investor" just start charging us if it is not listed in the contract? Shouldn't this charge have been included when we went under contract?

Comments (10)