SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elaforge

Step Parent Adoption - Should I change last Name?

elaforge
21 years ago

My first husband died in a car accident when our daughter was only nine months old and I was five month pregnant with our son.

My new husband wants to adopt these two children. He is a wonderful father and is excelent with them. The children adore him. I am having a hard time deciding whether or not to change thier last name. My first husband's mother does not care if I change my daughter's last name but does not want me to change my son's last name. "He needs to carry on the family name".

I have since had another child and my teen age step-son lives with us. I feel that I can not change just my daughters name with out changing my son's name. I don't want him to feel excluded.

Unfortunately, the children have over heard my husband and I talking about this. My daughter (Only Five) wants to change her name, asks about it frequently. She remembers her father and the loss has made her a little insecure. My Son (Four) absolutely adores his step father, and never knew his father.

I want to do what is in the best interest of the children. I tend to feel that changing their name, will help them with a sense of belonging. This will greatly upset my first mother-in-law to the point, that she might protest the adoption.

I tried look for research on the pro's and con's of changing the last name in a step parent adoption, but could not find any thing.

Please Help. Should I change their last name or not?

Comments (12)