SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gone_country

really need advice/help with step-parenting issues

gone_country
17 years ago

Hi, this is my first time here and let me say in advance, thank you for allowing me to be here!:)

This could get long....I will try to keep it short as possible so it is easy to read...cuz I need answers and support!

I met my now husband 4 years ago. He had been recently widowed. His LW died after a long and courageous battle with cancer. He was beside her and supporting her 24/7. One of the things they discussed was that she did NOT want my husband to be alone. She wanted him to find another love...and soon. We met and it was wonderful. Our only problem was our children ( I have two and he has six).My kids did not want to move from the city to his small town. His kids did not want dad to be dating at all. We decided to take our chances and hope that they would all evetually adjust. My kids have. They do not live in the home as they grew up and started their own lives.They love their step-dad and treat him with utmost respect. When I moved in after us dating and getting married ( we dated 15 months before getting married, I had moved to his town previous to that but got my own apartment and did not move in until the day of the wedding).At the time I moved in he still had three kids at home ( and three out of the home). From the get-go his three at home got along well with me. Very well. This surprised me as I thought their would be resentment and anger ( and their was....but with the three "adult" children out of the home).We had "normal" stepfamily blending issues. Nothing to overwhelming stressfull.

Now, here we are, married almost three years and my Step daughter who is 21 and still lives at home ( she is in school and wants to save money)has decided she resents me and that SHE should be the "woman of the house". Not a day goes by that she does not "correct" me....tell me what to do...complain about my way of doing things. She has started doing stuff like....I came home last week and she had totally re-arranged my kitchen. She DOES NOT cook and never uses the kitchen. I had such a rough time cooking for weeks cuz I couldnt find anything. This week it was the bathroom. The way I had it set up is no more....I have to go on a search mission to find anything. Yesterday, I was getting stuff out to make supper and she came in. She opened the fridge,pulled out the leftover lasange from the night before and said (in a snotty bossy way) "what are you doing?? why are you making that when we can warm this up for supper"?? I found myself explaing to her ( and it seems to be happening more and more often...this..me "explaining" almost as if asking permission!) Last week I got it cuz I had the wrong time on the dryer while doing laundry ( I had it on hot trying to get my SS's gym clothes done cuz he had to pick them up in 15 minutes). She said I didnt need to do it that way and blah...blah. I have raised two kids and have done laundry just fine for years and years. She wants me to clean to HER satisfaction and do it HER way. She has smart rude remarks when I try to make small talk with her.

It feels to me as if she has decided that yes, mom died and yes, Carrie took over for awhile....but now "I" am going to be the woman of the house. I know that she is unhappy cuz she wants to marry her boyfriend and get ahome and her own family. He has told her he wont marry for another ten years and no kids for another 5. Everywhere I go she is in my way. I start laundry and she takes it over. I start to cook and she will start to cook also...getting right in my way. I decorate..she "redecorates". I get a little basket for the bathroom counter and put brushes in it.....two days later it is in a closet and she has moved the brushes to a drawer.

I am ready to just pack up and leave. My husband (we have discussed this over and over) feels so badly cuz he worked 15 hour days when the kids were growing, didnt have close relationships with them, and then they lost "mom"....so he has a tought time (if being able to do it at all!!) of confronting them or backing me up. The three oldest ones that are out of the house have put me thru sheer h#ll for 4 years. Not wanting me around at family functions. Making a big announcement at stepson's daughter being born that I "was not to be called grandma" ( I had not asked to be called it to begin with). My one stepson refuses to eat my food on holidays....and has never spoken not one word to be in 4 years :( how sad!! I could go on and on about the last four years of hurt....but I am trying to move forward.

I am raising with my husband my 16 year old stepson. He was 13 when I moved in and he loves me like a mom. I do everything a mother would for him and I do it with love. step daughter in her quest to become "woman of the house" is interferring with he and I. I tell him he has to be home at 10:00....he comes home at 11:30 and says "sister said he could stay later and it would be okay". Everything I do with him she has to get involved.

This step daughter and I got along so well in the beginning. Couldnt have been closer. I was her support system and would have done anything for her. She moved out last summer for a few months, couldnt make it and needed to come home to be able to stay in school and when she came back it was with a whole new attitude that it hateful, spiteful and overwhelming.

I told my husband tonight that if he couldnt support me with this issue....I might just leave. I told him that I will NOT fight for my place as the woman of this home with his daughter. The last four years have been rough and I am just to tired for another battle....just TIRED.

I am corrected by her. Feel like I am starting to "just do it her way" to avoid fights. She is winning cuz I am weary from the wars and I dont get the back-up I need from my husband.

Any advice?? Ever been through this?? Is it normal for dad to take a "leave me out of it" stance??

sorry I got so long and thanks in advance for any replies!!

Carrie

Comments (9)