SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarajk28

I need some insight from a step parent

sarajk28
17 years ago

First, let me say that I am a stepmother, but have yet to meet my stepdaughter (she is in her 20's and lives in another state). So, my only experience with the meshing of two families comes from my own perspective as a child.

I have two children, a daughter 7 and a son 10. I divorced their father 3 years ago, and remarried two years ago. My daughter was quite young when I met my current husband, and for purposes, refers to him as her "dad". My son, well, he went to live with his dad. Anyway, my current husband seems to find fault with everything they do, and take it very personally. For instance, my daugher came in the house last night, was talking about something the moment she walked in the door, walked past him to continue her conversation with me (she assumed I was listening!) and didn't greet him. He became angry, telling her that he's tired of her trying to make him feel like he doesn't belong here or that he doesn't matter. I left the room, as I don't like to interfere when it comes to him parenting one of the kids. In our room, however, I attempted to talk to him. I told him I thought his choice of words was poor, that she doesn't treat him like and outsider, and that it is wrong for him to punish her for his perception. He should talk with her and see what was really going through her head. He accused her of being a liar, as she said she "didn't see him standing there" when she came in (he claims she looked right at him). I was furious, for one, I didn't like what he said, and for two he was accusing my daughter of being a liar.

I walked out of the room and proceeded to punish her for her actual crime, being rude and supposedly lying (which I don't believe she was, there wasn't enough theatrics involved). Now he is angry at me, won't talk to me, says that I should have let him handle it. I think he took it way personally, and punished her on a level I feel is inappropriate. To tell a child "I'm not going to talk to you anymore, you can be the one feeling like you don't belong" is wrong.

I don't feel he understands my position in this family; I am the one who has to feel caught in the middle, pulled in both directions and am supposed to bite my tongue. I try to be the peace keeper, the one who ensures there are no waves set in motion to upset anyone, and it is taking its toll on me.

Comments (9)