SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnygardenerme

Stepchildren over stepping parent/child boundries

sunnygardenerme
17 years ago

DH informed me SS (in college 22 years old) wants to take over our cell phone account and put it in his name, however, DH and myself will continue to pay the bill so we can get SS's 20% off discount. He gets a 20% discount through school.

Starting 3 years ago, DH and I had our own separate cell phone account without SS on it. DH paid a separate account for SS. Well about a year ago DH saw that it would be cheaper to add SS to our account. I was fine with that.

But, I am not fine with a 22 year old college SS having our account in his name. This means it will look like he is paying the account, we will be getting no credit for this account, plus he will have full run of the account. I told husband I was not confortable having our account in 22 year old college kid's name. DH became furious. He felt I was being unfair to his son and losing out on his SS's 20% discount. Wow, when did I sign on to a 3rd person marriage?

DH feels like I cut his kid down. I feel like his kids get involved in our personal marriage financal matters. I feel he interacts with his son more like a buddy reltationship then like a father/son relationship.

My question is does anyone else deal with things like this? With adult step children trying to get involved in bio parent and his spouses(stepparent) financial matters? I often feel like when things like this happen the stepkids are driving a wedge between DH and I. Please give me some advise or others who have been in similar situations and how you successfully handled this.

PS if I take out my own account, I will end up paying more, which, does not seem fair or right to me. Since DH and I are the married couple. I even feel like SS should open his own account since he is 22 years old. It will help him learn to manage his own account and then he can have the 20% discount.

What do you all think? Thanks

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths