SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andalee

Clear coat TIG before or after ceiling install?

andalee
12 years ago

We're gearing up to put up the knotty pine tongue & groove ceiling (drywall's done . . . hooray!), and my DH & I are of two different minds on the preferred order of operations. He wants to clear coat it on sawhorses before install, and I (in my limited experience) am voting for installing and then clear coating with a long-handled roller. This is pretty high-quality material, all 12' lengths (the exact size of most of the rooms), fwiw.

The only con's I've been able to find so far with my Google-fu is that unfinished bits of tongue might become visible when humidity rises and boards expand, and that stain is difficult to apply when the boards are on the ceiling. We're only clear-coating the pine (DH got to pick this time), so I'm having a hard time seeing why either of those drawbacks would apply to us.

But. That's why these forums exist, right? So we can help each other before we make a horrendous mistake? ;o)

We don't need a perfect, satin-smooth finish on the pine. It needs to be protected (we'll have a woodstove, so there might be occasional smoke, or some humidity from a freshly-opened bathroom door or in the kitchen), and be reasonably smooth. (I.e. look nice.) Soooo . . . opinions? I'd love to hear all sides of it. Let the hashing begin!

Comments (6)