SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
merryb_gw

dealing with boyfriend's daughter

merryb
17 years ago

I am new to this forum and in need of assistance. I met a man who was divorced with a 10 yr old child. Her mom passed away 3 years ago from brain cancer. This child was adopted at birth. Her adopted dad, my boyfriend, was 45 and her mom was close to 50 when they adopted her. He took his daughter in with him after her mom passed away. He has dated on and off in the past few years' but since late November of last year, we started dating and are very much in love.

His daughter and I got along for the first 4 months which was fabulous. I never had children but was married twice. We went away for a week in April and in a matter of seconds, getting to our destination, she turned on me. Both of us adults were always with her so we both know it wasn't something I said or did to change her. She continued to ruin our vacation. She would say nasty things in front of me to get my goat, and then be real sweet to her dad when he was around. She met some kids her age on the island and they even turned on me until thier parents' got wind of the bullying that was going on behind our backs and they punished their kids for it. This went on for 4 months. Our relationship has been strained to say the least. From what I see and hear from relatives, she was always spoiled and got her way with both parents'. My boyfriend, who is a doctor, is passive and I believe he gave into her after her mom passed away which I can understand. He realizes now that he is paying for it as she is rude, selfish, manipulative, argumentative and lashes out at him now when he is trying to correct her ways. Within minutes, she is charming and conniving to her dad and tells her she loves him. Of course, he always reminds her that he will love her the rest of her life, but he doesn't like it when she acts out.

Out of no where, after 4 months, she started to warm up to me like the beginning. It was great for 6 weeks and THEN BOOM, she's at it again. I understand that she is 10.5 and I understand all that has happened to her and why she is acting at me. I don't take it personal as she would do it to any woman who came into her life and who she felt was being threatened by. Therapy is out of the question as he is in denial. She just shuts down when you ask her anything. I finally blew my top the other night to him about her which I have tried my best not to do. Of course, he was upset with me, as he should be. The next day, he apologized (as did I). He told me everyhting I said to him re: her was true but it just hurt to hear it. He wants to try to make us both happy. My inner child becomes injured and then I step back in the relationship and stay away from his home. He feels I should be there more, if not, she wins and he is fighting for us to work.

My question is.... when she says mean things to me, when her dad is not around to hear it, trust me, I'm sensitive but not that sensitive, how do I react? Ignore her? I've told her that I will not speak to her w/o her dad around unless she respects me. Today we went bowling, every chance she could, she either bumped into me, tried to trip me, or said things that were not nice. Again, I can deal with that, but how do I take control of the situation? For instance, while her dad ran into the store, she told me that I should not get involved in their conversation when they spoke! I'm sorry this is so long but I am so desperate to do the "right thing" because he is so worth it! The sad thing is, I do like her and I understand the whole situation, and want to be her friend or whatever. I can never replace her mother and I won't even try. Thank you in advance

Comments (10)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH