SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mockingbird_2007

boyfriend's 16 yr old daughter

mockingbird_2007
16 years ago

New to this and not sure what to do. My BF has a daughter 16. We are both in ou 50's. She lives out of state with her mom but comes here often for visits. They've been divorced 14yrs. She's here this summer--TG one month left! She and I seem to get along pretty well but........She's spoiled rotten! He pays for her cell, she has a credit card, he pays for and just about anything else she wants. She's at that stage where the world doesn't exsist without her. She can do whatever she wants, spend as much as she wants "it's okay, daddy will pay for it". She must think $ grows on trees or something. Even her friends have made comments to her about the credit card, to no avail. Last months bill was close to $2000. BF has told her over and over to cut back or no card. But it's an idle threat 'cause he doesn't want to upset her.

We have talked about this and I've told him that if he doesn't set some boundaries and use a little tuff love, his daughter is in for a rude awakening when she's on her own.

The other thing I'm not sure how to deal with is that at times she's all over him. like trying to sit in his lap, curl up on him on the couch, hanging on to him constantly. He thinks it's sweet that she's showing him that she loves. Maybe I'm being redicoulus but the first thing that comes to my mind is what is she sofening him up for now. I know when my son used to be super nice it was that he had either gotten in trouble or wanted something.

Besides isn't it a bit inappropiate at 16 to be hanging on to daddy like a toddler?

BF and I plan on getting married but I'm afraid the situation with the daughter will eventually 'cause problems.

Do I just let this go and not say anything or what?

Comments (4)