SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnmari_gw

molding stain disaster...

johnmari
18 years ago

I'm just sick about the woodwork for my new bathroom. Thank heavens I posted here and got the go-ahead to do all the finishing before anything was installed, I would probably be scoping out a bridge somewhere if this had all already been installed!

The material in question is stain-grade pine (yes, yes, I know, pine is lowbrow but affordability was a big issue, and it was appropriate to the style of the house): 4" t&g wainscot, cap rail and base cap moldings, and select flat stock as advised by GC for door/window casings & baseboards. Stain was Minwax oil-based, half English Chestnut and half Cherry for a nice red-tinged middlin' brown but less screamingly red than Red Oak, well-mixed and stirred up several times during the application process, preceded by the Minwax conditioner as directed. I sampled it several times on different molding scraps from the bin at Home Depot ;-) and those all came out the same. Manufacturer's instructions were followed to the letter.

Sadly, the result was three different colors! The wainscot came out a pretty decent color, although with a goldish, almost iridescent sheen I wasn't expecting and am not particularly pleased about. The cap rail and base cap moldings came out about two shades darker than the wainscot, a bit darker than the the similar test pieces, and completely lacking the goldish sheen so it's not a nice combination with the wainscot at all. The flat stock is a complete loss - almost chocolate brown, not a trace of red. I don't know how in heck that happened but it's absolutely awful. I could understand it if that was done last and the pigment in the stain had settled to the bottom of the container, but it was done second, before the wainscot! It was also wiped immediately like everything else. I tried scrubbing them down with mineral spirits and that accomplished nothing at all. I can't bear the thought of putting a dark brown stain to match the casings on all the rest (that was the recommendation from the local Woodcraft store), it would be far too much contrast with the beige flooring and shower and just plain too dark. (I'm doing Victorian, not Tudor!)

Priming and painting the whole mess is not an option - the stained wainscot and trim was to be a major design feature, if you'll excuse the pretentious phrase, of the room - but I don't know what to do to salvage this dog's breakfast. I'm not sure buying replacement material would be worth it since the color differential was consistent within each type of material, i.e. ALL the flat stock turned dark brown, ALL the wainscot material got that gold iridescent tinge.

Comments (7)