SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stuarbc

Acid Stained Concrete disaster!?!?

stuarbc
10 years ago

I have hired a builder to build our new home. We decided in the beginning that we wanted to do stained concrete flooring. Well the problems started after the builder's contractors laid the concrete. They did a very poor job with smoothing out around the perimeter of the house. Also, during framing something was dropped on the foundation and left a nice 3-4" hole/spot. The builder told me that the rough sections would look ok after they sealed and waxed, and that he would do what he could with the hole.

Well fast forward to now...we went to inspect the finished flooring and it is horrible. Huge sections that accepted no stain (so bare concrete)....the rough spots look horrible and don't even look like they are the same finish as the rest of the floor...there are other marks that came out after the stain that we hadn't seen before, like leaf marks, etc that must have gotten in the wet concrete.....and his fix for the hole was to dump tons of sealer in it...so much so that it won't even dry and is tacky to the touch. Even in the sections where there are no issues....the flooring was very poorly done.....i.e. streaky, etc.

It turns out that instead of hiring someone...he let his 20 year old son do the floor. The builder is taking total blame and is willing to fix it out of his pocket. My solution, after talking with a few local flooring guys, was to make him scrub up the sealer, add a new substrate over the floor, and then re-stain. That would fix the shotty stain, the rough sections, and the hole. Oh yeah...and footprints!

However, he has spoken with another contractor and is trying to get me to agree to just sandblasting the entire floor and then re-staining.

My question is whether this would be a feasible solution? Will sandblasting be able to get up all the sealer so that the floor will accept another stain? Or should I just stick to my guns and make him re-substrate? This option would also not fix the holes or the rough areas. Is this common in stained floors or am I just being picky about not wanting the rough spots and leaf marks?

Comments (7)