SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lectricn00b

wiring a boat dock to connect to generator

lectricn00b
9 years ago

Hi All,
I've been browsing and reading this forum and decided to create an account and post here. Hopefully I can get the assistance I need to successfully complete my project...

I have a small boat shelter and dock area on a piece of land that has no grid power currently available. I've been running my boat lift, power tools, and battery chargers from an 8500watt generator when I need them. I would like to move away from that extremely loud rig so I can wire up a stereo, a few lights and a ceiling fan.

A few extra details:
-One day when I build and bring in grid power, I will hook this up to the grid and supply the panel from there
-I have some leftover items that I would prefer to use if they are appropriate but will use what I 'should' use to be ready in the future
-The generator I would like to move to (haven't bought yet) is either a Yamaha 2400ishc or similar (2kw range inverter generator)
-My boat lift circuit is rated for 1.8kw max and the motor surges to 1.5kw on startup
-I have not bought lights yet but would spend extra on lower power lights to allow me to utilize ~2kw inverter generator
-I have already decided on the ~2kw generator and would like to design this interim (several years) solution until I build and can bring in grid power

I currently have (but will buy whatever is appropriate):
-a spool of 10/3
-a spool of 12/2

My first draft plan (looking for help here)
-8' ground rod at the shore to a power inlet box (essentially at a stub up where I can connect to the grid in the future)
-30amp power inlet box
-run 10/3 with red capped off since I'll be connecting my 120v generator to a power panel
-6 breaker power panel with 1 or 2 15a or 20a breakers installed (1 for the lift and 1 for the radio and a few lights)

Swapping between my 8.5kw generator and a ~2kw generator is not trivial so I think if I need the 240 for anything I will simply use the outlet in the 8.5kw generator.
Looking for advice all around on this. Thank you!

Comments (5)