SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njdpo

Diagnosing Engine starting problems

njdpo
16 years ago

Hi all,

Intro:

I have an older (used and abused) Sears 8HP rear engine riding mower. Ive replaced the air filter on it and I see a small diamond shaped Briggs stamping on the oval metal cover of the oval paper filter  so I assume that the motor is a Briggs (I see no other indication of brand on the motor  I have not had the motor apart).

The Sears rider was given to me (with no mowing deck) and I mostly use it for towing small carts around my property (hauling small loads of fire wood / stone, etc). I also drilled & mounted a ball hitch to the back to tow my motorcycle and my neighbors boat trailer to the back yards without driving trucks over the lawn Works absolutely great  when it worksÂ

The Problem:

After fixing various things on the mower my biggest problem with tired old "Bessie" is actually starting it up. The 8HP motor has electric start (no pull start on the top of the vertical crankshaft motor).

The initial problem seems to be a dead battery, initially starting the mower I must always use jumper cables from my truck. Even when connected to my truck (with the truck engine running) the Briggs motor turns over very slowly (again as if the battery was near dead).

This morning I pulled the spark plug from the briggs motor (while the jumper cables were connected to the truck) and turned it over and still the briggs motor is turning over slowly. After a moment  I see smoke coming from the general location of the brigss starter motor (the gas tank covers the area  so my view is obstructed) and then suddenly the motor is turning over strongly again. I felt the wires and they did not seem hot  it almost looked like the smoke was coming from the starter motor (remember the plug is not in the motor so it never actually started  no smoke due to any combustion or oil burning)

I put the plug back in and the briggs starts up like a champ.

Notes:

- Its cold here and I have changed the oil to a 5-20 viscosity  so I know the oil is not thick.

- The battery in this mower can start my 20 HP John Deere lawn mower (I know the battery is not dead) as I have swapped batteries between the mowers repeatedly.

- Putting a charger on the battery before trying to start the mower is completely useless.

- It seems like when its connected to the truck  this is the best chance for getting the motor started.

- When the motor is running  I have tested that it is charging the battery by connecting an amp meter to the motor.

- Once old Bessie has gotten past this problem  and the engine is warm, I can generally hit the key and the motor will start without any problems. Let the Briggs motor cool down over night and IÂm right back where I began.

Questions:

- Do you think the starter motor could be bad? How much are these starter motors? (same ol story - IÂm broke). How can i confirm it is the starter motor?

- Do you think faulty wiring might be the issue?

- Is it possible for me to get recoil / pull cord on top of this motor? Is that motor too big to pull over by hand?

Thanks for your time, consideration, and suggestions.

Comments (26)

Sponsored
More Discussions