SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stimpy2301_gw

help! craftsman mower, with 16hp-ohv b&s engine starting problem

stimpy2301
17 years ago

Hello all, hopefully you may be able to help me...

I have a Craftsman mower (model 917.20670) with a 16HP-OHV Briggs & Stratton engine.

Engine numbers:

Model -- 310707

Type -- 0136-E1

Code -- 0007067D

I've been having engine problems lately, primarly with starting it up. If I'm lucky enough to get it running, I don't have any problems with it until I shut it down again.

Upon trying to start it, turning the key to ignition, generally all I get is a "click" sound. Usually the starter appears like it twitches slightly, but doesn't do its full jump-up-and-get-the-motor-turning. If I'm extremely lucky, a few repeated attempts might get it going...but that's pretty rare.

I thought it was the starter, so I bought another starter for it ... but I get the same reaction out of the replacement (which was also used, but functional).

I've also discovered that, if I shut it down after running it for a while (during some of the few times I get it running), there's seems to be no chance of starting it up again -- just clicks.

I've got a battery charger, and have been using that, and a couple times that seemed to start it up after fully charging the battery. But almost never without multiple attempts.

I've switched batteries a few times to ensure it wasn't just a bad battery; this mower had a battery with 275 cranking amps. I got the same reaction (but eventually got it started) with a new battery with 350 cranking amps.

So...I may have multiple problems...but I really have no idea what's going on here.

1) Why can't I get it to start?

2) Which is the appropriate battery to be using?

3) Why doesn't it seem to charge the battery?

(I suppose I could be having the same starting problem with the battery after running it...maybe it is charging the battery but still just won't start.)

Any help you may provide is greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!

Comments (16)

Sponsored