SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
walt2002

B&S 16 hp OHV won't turn over when hot

walt2002
15 years ago

A friend is a very experienced small engine mechanic. He is working on a 16 hp B&S OHV engine, a model 310707, 98 year, that will crank and start just great but after it reaches operating temp, the starter will not turn it over for maybe an hour then it will crank and start just fine again. It runs good until it is intentionally stopped. It is as though the compression release doesn't work when the engine is hot.

It has a new heavy amp battery. I was there and we check the operation of the cam shaft as well as watching for the "bump" indicating the compression release was working. Valves have been set and re-checked. He has had the head off replacing the head gasket and said the cylinder wall was perfect. It has a little chafe in the cooling fins but nothing serious.

I suggested he try jumping directly to the starter and even switching starters thought I doubt that is the trouble but he has an extra new starter anyway. There was one connection that I questioned, perhaps not carrying enough current when engine is hot and cranking requirements are greater.

I did notice something that was not right. The aluminum push rod was on the exhaust valve instead of the intake as it should have been but I can't figure out how that would cause the problem. He hasn't had time to try the things I suggested yet.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Walt Conner

Comments (6)

Sponsored