SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deltabreeze

Could this change make the furniture arrangement work?

14 years ago

Due to some extenuating factors, I need to put four pieces of furniture along one bedroom wall: a nightstand, bed, bedside table, and a chair.

Here is a pic of my room now. (The round mirror with be hung above the bed and the lamps and the blue chair will be replaced.)

{{!gwi}}

I notice this pic has the same assortment of furniture, but looks much better, possibly because the chair is pulled out in front of the table.

Do you think I should look for a crescent shaped table

to replace my existing round table? Could I use this red chair (with a change of slipcover) if I change the bedside table?

Here is a pic of the rest of the room .

Comments (31)

• 14 years ago

No doubt -- a round table always takes up more space.

So a half-moon/demilune table would certainly work well here and give enough room for that pretty chair!

I do like the existing fabric cover on the chair BUT a quieter colored fabric -- a toile like Bosphorus -- would look marvellous with the deeper colors in the large artwork which I consider the inspiration piece/focal point in the room)

Or perhaps a small chest of drawers? My DH's sidetable is indeed just that -- a smaller chest of drawers with the added bonus of a pull-out tray.

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• 14 years ago

IMHO what makes the inspiration room exciting is the layering going on. Notice the pillows on the bed; the fabric at the window; the larger, carved demilune table; the artwork and the pillow on the chair.

Like Jan, I like the fabric on the chair; however, fabric that cooridinates with your artwork would work better. I LOVE the chair.

• Related Discussions

As suggested, I changed the arrangement on deck furniture

Q

Comments (15)
    I prefer the more squared seating that I suggested, in part because then a majority of the seating is facing outward to the view. In the angled seating, the two chairs have their backs to the yard and are facing the house. I think it also gives a more open feeling, and eliminates that 'seats around the campfire' feeling of one seat on each side of the centered table. However, everyone knows my mantra is "your house, your choice'. You live in the space, and you have to love how things are arranged. If the angled seating works best for you, then that is the way you should use it! Just wondering, leaving things angled as they are in the last pix, could the square table fit flat against the railing between the two chairs? Or is it too large? That might open up the seating - you could add a side table at the end of the loveseat if needed.
    ...See More

Family room furniture arrangement help :-)

Q

Comments (4)
    Unfortunately, our other potential space is our living room which is small. I'd like to keep it upstairs as the finished basement is the playroom. Good suggestion, though. I pushed the chairs back towards the fireplace a little more and it's not bad. Is it an issue that the sofa isn't centered on the TV? Do I need a larger area rug? We may change the carpet to some type of faux hardwood, so I think an area rug still makes sense. Would a coffee table look good with this arrangement is the two end tables? It would be centered on the sofa, which would be off center from the TV.
    ...See More

Want beach style but have heavy, dark furniture.How do I make it work?

Q

Comments (43)
    lisalija, I assume this question--"...how do you put in new rug, coffee table, etc in place of existing??"--is directed at me. I use Photoshop. The dark chair you posted yesterday can work as it is, I think. The cushions look like they're covered in a light leafy fabric already. Put it on the left side of the TV console and give it a beachy side table of its own.
    ...See More

Please help me make this bedroom furniture work

Q

Comments (4)
    My bedroom furniture has a similar wood color with sherwin Williams silverplate 25% lighter and it looks wonderful together along with off white simple linens. I think you are on the right track with neutral colors.
    ...See More
  • 14 years ago

Mine is too, Jan....a small chest with a pull out tray. It compliments the weightiness of the bed. I think the round table looks small and feminine next to the wooden bed. Have you thought about putting the other chair (that's with the desk), in that space, with a throw draped partially over it, or a pillow to play in with the bedding? I think the red is harsh also...unless you put more red in that room. A white slipcover would look great over that chair. I love the inspiration photo...very cozy, and yours will look cozy too!

• 14 years ago

Can you move the table away from the bed a bit. It looks crowded and I think would also look better more under the window. The demilune might help you do that better if tablespace won't then be too far away for convenience.

• 14 years ago

Forgot to add that the lamp that is surrently sitting on the round table would look divine on the desk --- especially with the classic feeling of the artwork!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• 14 years ago

I think I will look good with the chair pulled a bit forward and on the other wall as in the inspiration picture.

Will you be making the slipcover? One of the things in your inspiration photo is repetition: the fabric is on everything: if you could make a tablecloth for that round table, and some pillows for the bed, that would nail it.

• 14 years ago

Hmm... very good thoughts.

Now that you mention it, I think part of the reason that the crescent table works in the inspiration pic is because it adds the dimension of roundness to a square space and because you can see the lovely drapes below it.

In my case, I could use the roundness (the room is an almost perfect square), but I will not have the lovely drapes. Also, I have to limit the amount of pillows and fabric stuff in my bedroom (pretty severe allergies).

I also agree with you that the red fabric works, but is too strong, and that I should use the bird pic in the room as motivation for picking a new fabric. What about this black curved chest and a new slip cover in muted colors (or white) on the red chair? And then rounded lamps in white or the bronzey colors of the pic?
    {{!gwi}}

• 14 years ago

Hm Squirrel and palimpsest -- your suggestions give me an idea. What if I move the existing round table away from the bed (it will show an electrical switch but whatever). Maybe add a larger circle to the table to makes its diameter bigger. Move the chair out further and angle it like the inspiration pic. Cover the table AND chair in the same or coordianted patterns. Maybe make the cover for the table a little short (the legs of the table are nice .. .you can see them poking through in the pic with the red chair).

Jan at Rosemary Cottage, I like the idea of moving the lamp there and will try it out. What do you think about the idea of leaving the pic on the desk rather than hanging it?

• 14 years ago

I still vote for a demilune table -- although the black-painted chest is great -- it is too big and visually heavy for that spot. Perhaps a demi-lune table in black?

And IF you want -- you could paint the desk in black to match it!

Hang the artwork (to "raise" the viewers eye and make the whole elevation higher) -- and add the lamp. Then find some pretty desk accessories to add to the tabletop. The lamp and the accessories will help to visually "join" the two areas (table/desk and the artwork) together.

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

Here is a link that might be useful: ballard designs demilune tables for examples

• 14 years ago

squirrel, I just moved the table over as you suggested. UGHHHH! WHY is there always an ugly electrical outlet in all the wrong places (especially when I think I told the electrian where to put them in this room?) Oh well, how about a nice magazine bin there?

teacats, I think you are right that the chest is too visually heavy... One thought I am having is to use the brushed metal base of the existing table (about 25 inches diameter) and putting a new top on it. Maybe an oval that is 40 inches wide -- and then putting a table cloth on top of that. The

palimpsest asked whether I will be doing my own sewing. I do sew and have made curtains and pillows and stuff. I can't say that I am great at this, but I might make the slipcover--depending on time and how broke I am feeling that day). (I just got an estimate for refinishing a dresser for the room that makes me feel very broke!)

• 14 years ago

I actually like the table the color it is. It picks up on the highlights of the bed's wood and the floor. I also like it with the coloring of the painting and your breezy light comforter (can't remember if that's staying).

• 14 years ago

well, the table stain is down on my to do list. If we end up thinking it looks fine -- when all the rest of the suff is done-- I will happily declare victory.

Comforters are inevitably white in my world because everything has to get washed in hot water weekly. Beautiful colored bedding doesn't stay that way for long in my house. So what ever I do has to be happy with white.

• 14 years ago

The table in the inspiration picture is the same height as the bed. I wonder if you've tried angeldog's suggestion of using the other chair instead of the red chair? Your inspiration picture also has framed artwork on the side wall. Coud the mirror go there?

• 14 years ago

owlsrme, I tried the desk chair and this blue glider (see pic below) by the bed. The desk chair doesn't have the comfort I was hoping for. The glider is just ugly. My existing table is the same height as the bed (it is just smaller in scale). My red chair is about the same scale as the inspiration pic and would be easy to re-slipcover with fabric that works better with the artwork. In the pic below, I show the art that I was planning for this space.
    {{!gwi}}

• 14 years ago

I hope you take this in the spirit of constructive criticism, but I think that the left and right sides of the bed look as if they are in two different rooms. On one side the furniture is light and leggy; on the other it's heavy and draped.
    If the electrical outlet bothers you, just paint it the wall color.

• 14 years ago

Is the painting the only reason you're considering a new slipcover? IMO, art should stand on its own. Matching furniture to art or vice versa just doesn't seem right. I think your red chair is gorgeous! Are you deliberately going for a spartan look in the room?

• 14 years ago

I thought you had another post with a photo of that window wall, but couldn't find it. I don't know how you intend to use that chair by the bed, but would it be possible to put it by that window along with a small table or trunk and a floor lamp?

• 14 years ago

{{!gwi}}

Things I like about this picture is the table is right under the window it's not off center.

The chiar is smaller then the table, looking as if it could be pushed under like a desk to it looks like it fits together.

The lamp is also in the middle of the table and window drawing the eye up.

To me, your end table looks too small next to the chair and the lamp while in the middle of the window is off center as well as the table making the eyes ziz-zaz.

I like how the bed is taller in the picture and thinks it works well if your going to add a chair.

Good luck with your project :)

• 14 years ago

suero-- I need this constructive criticism and yes the left and right sides of my bed don't match. My worry is that a table without a cloth will look empty because I do not have pretty drapes and have an electrical and phone outlet there.

natal--We love the red fabric and have two chairs in it in the LR. We will make the decision as to whether this chair needs a new slipcover after getting the furniture arrangment correct. I don't think the red clashes with anything in the room, but we are looking for a quiet, spare space. The chair will be used for reading and yacking on the phone.

koidom-- Thank you for your keen observations. Yes, I see that the table and lamp needs to line up with the window and the chair should be of modest scale.

Do you think I could get away with a larger skirted table -- or should it be exposed wood (like the pic). The view under the table would not be a pretty as I won't have the pic's beautiful drapes.

• 14 years ago

Delta, I get the need for a comfy chair. I like the red one and I love the framed art. What if you layered the table since you don't have drapes like your inspiration pic? Or don't layer the table but do you have an area rug that would be comfy on the feet while in the chair or for getting out of bed? Or both layered skirt and rug? Or a rug on the other side of the room to balance the fabric? If you center the table under the window will your DH be able to reach while in bed? Okay, I know that's practical but judging by your posts that's important to you too.

• 14 years ago

To me, the chair in the inspiration picture is too tiny. It looks like a doll's chair. Or the table is way too high.

I think a half-moon table would look nice there, but I wouldn't put a cloth on it. I'd definitely move it further away from the bed and have the chair almost facing the bed.

• 14 years ago

Is there a reason the chair has to be on that side of the bed?

I understand from your other post that the bed must be on this wall. What it feels like right now, imo, is that you have lots of separate pieces there, with no relation between any of it.

I wonder if you could use the table and desk chair to the left side of the bed, to act also as a night stand? I would stain it the color of the other nightstand, and use that one on the right side of the bed. Get matching lamps to help unify the look.

Then put one of the chairs and the skirted table down where the desk/chair combo is in the current pix.

Because of the allergy issues, I know you can't do drapery. What I think you don't need there is another single item above the bed, to create a line of three single thing marching across the wall (window, mirror, window). I would like to see a grouping of smaller things, perhaps framed art of various sizes or plates or a mixture of things, including some kind of wall pocket or vase holding some greenery, above the bed for some interest and texture.

The other thing that I think could make a big visual impact would be to add another pair (or stack of two pairs) of shutters that remain closed below the windows, to give the illusion that the windows are much taller.

Would love to see some color or pattern in the bedding, even just a throw and one accent pillow.

I would like to see the tv mounted on a moveable arm, so that you could put it on the wall to the right of the bed, swing it out to watch and swing back. It would then also be visible easily from the desk and the chair/table combo at the other side of the room.

• 14 years ago

I hereby declare tomorrow (or Friday at the latest) new pic time. There are a lot of good ideas here, and I need to try them out. Les, I like the idea of moving the desk over to DH's side of the bed and then stealing his bedside table for my side. I will try it out and we can see if it will work. There is a little difference in heights between the desk and the bedside table. The desk is about 5 inches taller than either of the bedside table -- but this might work anyway.

I am fine with having the comfy chair where the desk is. I was assuming the we would put the tv in the corner by the door way (opposite the place where the desk currently is), but don't have strong opinions. We don't watch TV in the room very often anyway. Thanks againg everyone

• 14 years ago

Well DB, I don't know why you said the bed had to be on that wall, but I just have to ask if you've thought about putting the bed in the opposite corner from the doorway?
    Like this.....
    {{!gwi}}
    The desk should still fit where you have it and there'd be plenty of room for the comfy chair to the right of your bed.

• 14 years ago

The current orientation of the bed gives us a great view of the garden and trees. It is my DH's major request: that we leave the bed where we can see this view and watch the birds. He will go along with most everything else.

• 14 years ago

Here's the view from the bed. It isn't clear, but the big tree is a 70 year old ginko and the smaller tree is a white crepe mrytle. Our small yard (about a sixth of an acre) is the nicest part of our home. Many birds nest in these trees and drink from the fountain below. I got my husband to move the bed once for a week, but he was really sad. . . Opening the shutters is the first thing he does every day.

• 14 years ago

I think.....your inspiration picture should be copied as exactly as possible! LOVE it!!! Your room has great "bones", the future makings of a magazine layout.

• 14 years ago

I'm assuming you don't have pets because of the allergies, but if you did putting a bench under those double windows would be perfect for their viewing pleasure too, lol.

Have a feeling moving the red chair closer to that area will make a huge difference. Can't wait to see it!

• 14 years ago

Well Delta I don't blame you, but I do think you'd be able to still have a great view from the angle I meantioned. I also understand when your hubby has only one request that you want to honor that. I'd do the same thing. It is a lovely view.

• 14 years ago

I'd be facing that view, too. A bench might be nice, to balance the rest of the room more. The opposite wall seems to be where all the action is. I do like the spareness and composition of that East wall image you posted, though, with the large painting.

• 14 years ago

Ah, allergies...and here I was suggesting additional fabric. Scratch that. I'm with Squirrelheaven, I'd be facing that view too.
    Looking forward to seeing your progress.