SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrea131_gw

Please help me refinish my dining room table!

andrea131
12 years ago

Background: I would like to refinish my dining room table. I have what I believe may be a walnut table made by Harden Furniture. According to the tag under the chairs, it was originally purchased in the early 1980s. I purchased it used about 10 years ago. It has been well loved, to say the least. I have had reasonable success with restore-a-finish on the china cabinet and chairs, but it is definitely not enough on the table top. I was able to remove the glue from stickers and school projects, along with most of the marker stains, but there is a lot of damage to the wood. I would like to use a chemical stripper to remove the existing finish, and then re-stain and seal it with something very durable, but I am not sure what.

My questions are as follows:

1. What should I use to strip the original finish

2. Once the finish is gone, I am assuming it is okay to sand out all of the nicks in the wood?

3. Do you think this is Walnut? How do I match the finish to the rest of the items? Should I take a chair into Sherwin Williams to have them match the stain?

4. What type of protective finish should I use after staining? I am thinking it may have originally been shellac (finish is very cloudy in some areas)

Thank you so much for your help!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!