SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suz1023

stepson breaking his father's heart

Susan
15 years ago

almost three years ago my husband was dx with cancer and needed chemo right away. as it so happened,,his son was about to be laid off in a similar business,so 'volunteered ' to take over dad's business. volunteered with pay--he wasn't doing this for free. so while dad is in chemo and recovery,son keeps telling him how easy the work is,that dad has been doing it wrong all of these years,and son is going to change evreything and become a millionaire--with dad's business.(which by the way,,he says is worth nothing,since dad ruined it. no-one knew dad had cancer for all of the fifteen years before,,it explains his lack of energy all these years.).

dad eventually goes back to work,though in the meantime a lot of accounts have been lost (son says not his fault) and dad working to build up the business again,while still ill. son meanwhile starts up a complimentary business,leaning heavily on dad's contacts and expertise. he calls dad everyday 3-4-5-times for advice and requests to smooth over a problem if he can. dad is fully compliant and also uses the kids sometimes for the bigger jobs. son has been paid for some of these jobs,,some have not come in yet,some dad took out in trade for favors or help with clients or equipment.

so after last week,when son was crowing about how dad's business wouldn't survive without him,dad finally said enough. son got very angry and demands dad continue to help him with contacts and advice-dad wants to walk away from the nonsense. son has some of dad's tools and is now holding them for ransome,,saying if he doesn not get paid in full for every bit of work he helped dad with,he will keep the tools. huh?? what about the hours on the phone,talking him through the jobs?? what about the many calls to his old cronies,asking them to give his son a chance and use him for projects? what about chasing prospective clients for son and arranging the jobs for him:? what about teaching him to do the work,the books,etc. son has gone so far as to write a letter to the licensing board to ask for a license,,saying he has run the business singlehandedly since dad got sick. son has not bothered to show up to learn the actual skills needed to apply for the license and lied on the applicaion that he did. he boldly stated this summer he had to do it since his dad is sick again and needs chemo again and he might die before he finishes teching his son what he needs to know.

i'm kind of speechless here-how on earth did it come to this? what shall we do? hubby needs his tools back so he can work at least part-time when he feels up to it.

i'm simply stunned,really. any advice--i think hubby should report the tools stolen,,he refuses so far.

what would you do?

Comments (7)