SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nevermom

Need Advice On Relationship with Stepson

nevermom
16 years ago

I am the step mother to three children, daughter 25, son 23 and son 17. I have been married to their father for almost 15 years. We have always had a relatively good relationship and I love them, and they me. Inthe last few years, my 23 year old stepson has had issues with drugs and lack of motivation to work or go to school. He is a good kid with a good heart and moved in with us last year, and found a job a few months ago. He basically lived with us rent free, used our car, and paid for nothing other than gas. He wrecked the car (not his fault) in a deer collision about 6 weeks ago, and we then had to drive him 1/2 hour to and from his job. He and I have had problems on and off while he lived here. He has not seemed to have learned to respect other people's belongings, and constantly took/used/lost items - also is extremely defensive and argumentative about many things - including some issues related to how I do things and keep things around this house - which he would not abide by even though he was living here at our expense. We have done everything we can for him but my resentment at the way in which he treats others and his lack of respect and the way in which he takes advantage of us with never offering to pay or help with household things has seriously upset and frustrated me.

Two weeks ago, we had a nasty argument, in which we both said some intense things. In my opinion, some of the things he said to me were out of line - he does not seem to have any sense of respect for me as a steparent or even as his father's wife - he has no qualms about talking to me in the way someone would argue with an adult contemporary or even as a spouse.

Since the, we did not really speak, and he recently moved out, something he had been planning for a while.

I do not want us to be estranged; I do not want him to feel he is not welcome in our home; I want him to know I love and miss him. But I cannot bring myself to contact him given the way in which he spoke to me in our last argument. I cannot involve my husband in this as he is dealing with an overload of issues and this only hurts him more. I am not sure how to handle this. Would appreciate any advice.

nevermom

Comments (3)