Can't stand Step-son, do I leave DH?
16 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (38)
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
Related Discussions
I can't do it. I just can't do it.
Comments (34)I have never had a subscription to a cooking magazine - the only subscription I did have was to Illuminatrice, an Italian lighting magazine, and that was at work. The only magazines that I buy at the newsstand are Italian design magazines, some of which are quite expensive (I used to buy men's Italian fashion magazines, when I was more fashionable), and I have saved every one of them. I also buy Architectural Digest, Interiors, Veranda, etc. when they publish photos of my furniture designs, and I keep these also. My old magazine collection takes up one shelf in my garage, and I do refer to the Italian magazines from time to time for inspiration. I do collect clutter, but books and magazines are not part of that. I have one shelf of cookbooks in the hall next to the kitchen. I once bought a magazine on Feng Shui, but I decided that the magazine was clutter and got rid of it. I spent last week-end trying to declutter my bedroom because I also bought a new mattress that will be delivered tomorrow, and I want my room to look nice. Yesterday I made a runner with the fabric left over from making new drapes for my bedroom (to be able to block out light) and put it on the wide dresser beside my bed. The dresser on the other side of my bed has a runner I made from fabric left over from when I made my bedspread. I find that decorating or trying to coordinate rooms helps me get rid of clutter. However, I did put a bunch of books on the wide dresser using bookends. I don't have room for another bookcase. If I need to get more books, I will get rid of old ones that I have. Lately I have been buying and reading books on Anthropology and early human evolution. I read them at night to help me get to sleep, and so it takes a while to get through them. I cannot stand to watch Hoarders, but I will watch Clean House if I need inspiration to declutter. Making my house and yards look as beautiful as possible is one of my top priorities, and this helps me let go of clutter. I haven't gotten rid of it altogether, however, and so I think it is an on-going process. I have a hard time getting rid of old clothes that no longer fit, and I am convinced that sometime in the near future, they will fit again. Anyway, that is my goal. They may be terribly out of style or inappropriate by that time, however. Getting rid of old clothes is my biggest problem. One of the things I came across yesterday while decluttering was a printout from a Cooking Forum thread from 2005 that I started asking what was in everyone's freezer. It included a post by Ann_T on pitahaya (I happened to have some in my freezer at the time) that she had copied and pasted, bad Google translation and all. The translation was hysterically funny. Lars...See MoreWhat do you do when you can't bare to be around your Step Son
Comments (9)@ justmetoo----His now 21 year old son assaulted me, not the one that lives with us now. His mother does feed him stories and has for years let them in on the finances and done everything in her power to cause trouble and discontent. To be honest, in my opinion, this all went off the rails with this particular child when WE bought him a car. After my husband and I did this he kept the ca for about 2 months and decided that he didn't want it anymore. I had a truck that we were not using so SS came to me and said he wanted to buy it because, a. he wanted a truck, b. it would teach him what it was like to have financial responsibility. I should have seen through that right there, because I don't know many kids that would say that. I was honestly against it because I saw nothing but trouble, but after all the hounding I got from my husband and SS, I gave in just to shut them up. I stipulated that there would be rules, the vehicle would not be his until he paid it in full, it could not be driven out of the local area further than 50 miles, and since it was in my name and under my insurance he was not to haul all his friends around and he had to let us know where he was going. Keep in mind at the time he was 16, so I don't think I was being to unreasonable. That was fine for about 2 months and suddenly he stopped paying (payments were $50/month), breaking curfew, rude, sassy, etc. He wants to put the vehicle under his mothers insurance, because she doesn't have to know where he goes. Then he decides he doesn't want this vehicle and he wants to sell it and buy something else. Now I have no way of knowing what my husband and his son discussed or concocted, and they are famous for making little deals and leaving me out of the loop. (That's another issue) So, I agreed to allow him to sell it with the stipulation that he only keep what was leftover from what he owed us because I just wanted to be rid of the situation.. Well you would have thought I was asking for his first born, because suddenly he doesn't understand why he has to pay for something that had been given to me in the first place and why did I not just give him the vehicle. So he sells it and when my husband does not turn over the full amount to him, he says, "Mom told me you would not give me what you owed me!" HAHA BINGO! So I told my husband, BM is obviously planting seeds in his head, which you can't reason with this woman she is a nut job, we have tried. He gets a new car with his mother and adds it to his insurance and in even more attitude, he came over one night to fight with my husband about this entire transaction. Do I know if my husband has lied to him? No, I do not, however that is no excuse to talk to your father that way. In my opinion, bottom line SS is mad because he did not get what he wanted from us. This is the same child that asked his Dad to change the custody agreement so that he could stay with us more because he did not like living at his mothers house because everyone fights there all the time, per him. My husband even gave him $400 to register his new car that he got with his BM with the understanding that he would pay it back because he is working. This was 6 months ago and the boy has yet to make any attempt to give us anything, in fact he told his Dad in the past few weeks, "I don't have any F*&^ing money, so why would I give you any? I'm not paying you back." NICE! My husband left his son OVER $300 for lunch, food, etc whilst he has been away, gives him money to eat when the SS is at work, school, to go out with his friends....but the boy has a job, he is already in college. I feel that we have done so much for him and all he does in expect more and disrespect more. He will walk right past me in my home and look right through me and not say a word. I feel that I have done more for him in the 5 years I have been married than his own mother does for him. Its just a mess and it makes me very sad because it was NOT always like this. We used to do things as a family, have dinner together, go on trips and now I can't stand the sight of him....See MoreWhat to do about step son
Comments (19)I am not sure your stepson would consider tutors and counselors to be positive attention. I asked my son, who is also 20 and has executive function disorder, and he would not consider those things to constitute positive attention. He also pointed out that you can't just kick him out and expect him to magically become organized. My son said that if I were to kick him out right now, he wouldn't be able to find an apartment, support himself, and handle his finances, and your stepson sounds much worse off since he is distractible. I spend quite a lot of time helping my son organize his homework, his finances, and his life. He still needs a lot of help to organize his studying. He is improving as he gets older; his boss depends on him, he is never late to work, never skips class, and his younger siblings can depend upon him to get them to their activities. I don't, however, feel that I can or should focus more on his younger siblings - I just have to find time to focus on all of them concurrently. Raising a bunch of kids is just plain time consuming - especially when some of them are learning disabled. It's a lot harder though for those families with severely handicapped children who will never be able to live on their own. I doubt if he merely didn't "want" to do his homework. Kids with executive function disorder have difficulty with tasks that involve delayed gratification, and kids with ADD have even greater problems with homework. Have you considered helping him find a literary agent, since you said he is a writer?...See MoreCan't Stand StepSon
Comments (42)I didn't read all the posts so someone probably already said that you are deluding yourself. He will do the same thing to you and your children as he has done to the other three. Also, you might take a step back for the time being and get your house in order. One thing is you have no business resenting a child. Another thing is that child's behavior depends more on you than anything else. If you set rules in your own household for behavior, he would be obliged not to do the things you dislike, like not cursing and not listening to undesirable music that are a bad influence on the other children in your home. Lastly, get some counseling to learn how to properly direct your feelings. You are married to a jerk and you are as much a jerk for complaining rather than doing anything about it and for disliking a child who has done nothing to you outside of reacting to your own behavior and displays of resentment. Understand this, that child, like any other, would very likely have accepted your love, attention, kindness with open arms, but you have put him off. Don't think he does not recognize how you feel. You cannot hide it if you tried although I doubt you have tried. To answer your question, the way to deal with this child is to decide to be a very good influence in his life. I hope you will also consider that while strangers don't know all the details, they also cannot all be wrong. When you are hurt and trying to accept baby #6, #7, and goodness knows how many more or when you and your baby are left out in the cold with the others, just remember there were a bunch of strangers who told you so, but you chose to ignore them. When in a relationship, every woman feels like "it won't happen to me." But it always does. But you didn't ask for that advice, so take it or leave it....See More- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
Related Stories

PETS5 Finishes Pets and Kids Can’t Destroy — and 5 to Avoid
Save your sanity and your decorating budget by choosing materials and surfaces that can stand up to abuse
Full Story

MOST POPULAROrganizing? Don’t Forget the Essential First Step
Simplify the process of getting your home in order by taking it one step at a time. Here’s how to get on the right path
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNTrending Now: 25 Kitchen Photos Houzzers Can’t Get Enough Of
Use the kitchens that have been added to the most ideabooks in the last few months to inspire your dream project
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESCan't-Beat Style: Candlestick Clusters
Create high decorating drama with the right mix of candleholders on table, sideboard, mantel and more
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESAsk an Architect: How Can I Carve Out a New Room Without Adding On?
When it comes to creating extra room, a mezzanine or loft level can be your best friend
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDES10 Tips to Start a Garden — Can-Do Ideas for Beginners
Green up your landscape even if you're short on time, money and knowledge, with these manageable steps for first-time gardeners
Full Story
DECLUTTERINGDownsizing Help: Choosing What Furniture to Leave Behind
What to take, what to buy, how to make your favorite furniture fit ... get some answers from a homeowner who scaled way down
Full Story
THE POLITE HOUSEThe Polite House: Can I Put a Remodel Project on Our Wedding Registry?
Find out how to ask guests for less traditional wedding gifts
Full Story
LIFEThe Polite House: How Can I Kindly Get Party Guests to Use Coasters?
Here’s how to handle the age-old entertaining conundrum to protect your furniture — and friendships
Full StorySponsored
User