SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
principesa_gw

Stepson is antisocial and avoids me. Should DH step in?

principesa
15 years ago

My soon to be husband and I work opposite shifts, and today is my day off. He is at work til 1am.

In the meantime, I am stuck at home watching his 12 y/o son (my soon to be SS) while he works. It's a pretty boring day because SS is antisocial and doesn't do much of anything. He tends to avoid me and keep to himself. Lately SS has been SUPER quiet around me. He happened to start acting this way as I get more and more involved in planning my wedding to my hubby. He doesn't act out, per say, just is REALLY quiet and stand-offish. My hubby has asked him "Do you like her? Are you ok with us getting married?" - and SS always answers, "Yeah, sure. I like her."

Today I wrote my hubby an email and told him I'm worried that SS secretly hates me, is upset about the marriage, and/or blames me for his parents not being together. (Although my hubby and I didn't get together until years after he divorced his ex). In the email I asked my DH to TALK to his son ASAP, and make it clear that we are getting married this October, no matter what delusions SS may have about me.

Am I dropping a bomb on my hubby by writing him an email about it? I feel a little bad, but like I said, we work opposite shifts. We don't get much alone time. I also find I can really get everything out if I write it.

Also- at what point do I stop worrying about what my SS thinks of me? I've tried so hard to converse with him, be nice to him, find things for us to do. He is always very shy, does not make eye contact, etc. It's been like this for 4+ years!! I'd expect him to warm up to me by now. I feel very discouraged. Should I give a crap?

He tends to be this way with everyone - not just me. He doesn't have any friends to speak of. I feel bad for him, but also feel that he needs to learn his own way in life. What do you think?!

Comments (20)