SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barbi_jo

Step-sons acting up....

barbi_jo
17 years ago

Oh boy.. where do I begin?

I guess at the beginning (and it's a long one)... I met my husband a couple of years ago, he had already been separated from his ex wife for four years... long story short, she had an affair.. was caught.. they tried to work it out and she decided that it wasn't working, so she left to be with the gentleman that she was having the affair with. SHE left HIM.

We had been dating for a year before we decided that my daughter and I would move in with them in January of 2006. The kids had gotten along great with each other, and I with them. I adore those two boys (ages 6 and 11).

Before we had moved in, the ex-wife and I got along fabulously, also... she would bring the boys to my place of employment just to say hi.. etc... after we had moved in, she (who was still with her boyfriend) started showing up alone at functions that my husband and I would attend, including a couples Valentines dance. She would do little things like walk up to him holding out her hand saying things like "you've given the boys their allowances this week... where's mine?"... try to sit at the table with him when I left for the powder room.. things like that. My husband and I decided that it would be best not to feed the troll and started ignoring her unless the talks centered about the boys.

Yes, we do pay child support, pay for extracurricular activities, buy them clothes, shoes, toys, and whatever else they may need. We also get them every week end and every wednesday for two hours.

OK.. fast forward to the start of this school year, the ex-wife broke it off with her boyfriend, and started seeing a new man. One of my husbands friends to be exact.. she starts sending my husband explicit photos of her and her new boyfriend in compromising positions via text messages and email, my husband blocked her address and cell phone number.

Now the boys are starting to act out and it's getting worse as the months go on... they come over saying that they aren't allowed to listen to me because I won't let them call on their Mom's cell phone, the oldest has crying jags ALL the time.. screams at me for ruining everything...BLATENTLY defies me (for example: I will tell him to please put his seat belt on in the car, he will look at his Dad and say "Dad, do YOU want my seat belt on?").. the youngest has reverted to baby talk and wants to be treated like a baby (being spoon fed, carried.. etc). We are at our wits end with the situation, and have tried talking to the ex about putting the boys in counseling, she won't even HEAR of it. She says everything is MY fault... even though it was my husband who blocked the cell phone (yes, she does have a house phone, the cell is not the boys' only way of communication with their Dad).

We never EVER talk bad about their mother in front of them, if her name is brought up.. it's only good things... but, she will tell them things like I go to bars to pick up men (WHAT?!?!!!), that I am trying to push them out of their Dad's lives... and that's the nicer things.

I am hoping an outsiders point of view will help me put things in perspective. Things just keep getting worse and I just don't know what to do.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012