SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
midnit

help with step-son

midnit
21 years ago

Hello everyone. I am really having problems with things that are going on at home. First off, he is not my stepson yet but we live to together and are tying the knot this summer.

His (SS) mother and I have a fantastic relationship and I love her with every bit of me but her son (and her due to her how she responds to him) is really making things tough. The SS is 3yrs old and I have been in his life since he was 1yr. He sees his father regularly but we have little feedback how he acts with his father.

I'm not sure how to start, so forgive me if this is choppy.

The SS is SO seemingly jealous or resentful of me. He also acts SO spoiled. If he wants something (no matter what it is) and I say no he throws a completely fit - then depending what it is his mom gives it to him. If his moms says no he whines and whines and begs until he usually gets it.

When his mother tells him to do something he doesn't want to do he continues to do his own thing as she keeps repeating herself, then if I tell him to do what his mother says he screams 'NO' or has a fit. This happens at home, in the store, at friends house - it doesn't matter. Everything has to be his way or he will throw a fit. Now don't get the impression he always gets his way, sometimes when his mom is completely frustrated or upset she will actually make him obey...but that is not the normal course.

Children that don't obey (anyoneÂs children) is a pet peeve of mine so that just makes this that much more difficult for me. I often ask her why she says 'no' if she's going to let him do it anyway. It seems that if you don't say 'no' at least your not going back on what you already told him. We have talked about this many times but it always comes down to her being upset and claiming that I am calling her a bad mother and is followed by her telling me that I don't know what I am talking about because he is not my son and that I don't have a child - which is true, I make no claims to knowing what to do, but I know what I want to do! I want swift immediate discipline. I don't care what the discipline is, I just want it now. But thatÂs my solution, right or wrong.

I wouldn't be bothered by the SS's behavior if his mother would do something about it rather that just keep telling him 'no'.

Any suggestions of what I can do to help the situation? Am I wrong? How wrong am I? I love this woman AND her son, but this behavior is going to rip me apart if I can't find a solution.

p.s. I have also been removed from the disciplinary role because every time I put him in his room and he throws a fit I have to explain the whole situation and then she just goes and comforts him and lets him out.

Comments (13)