SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chris2009_gw

NEC code, peninsula's and rangetops.....help

15 years ago

I have a peninsula that is bisected by a rangetop (standard U-shaped kitchen). Behind the rangetop is at least 18" of countertop that runs all the way from the wall to the end of the peninsula.

I have found conflicting requirements for the number of GFI outlets required. In one document, it states that: "countertop spaces separated by rangetops shall be considered as separate countertops in applying 210.52 (C)(1)(2) and (3), meaning that the peninsula needs outlets on either side of the rangetop.

However, in another NEC code document, it states: "If a stove or sink is installed in the island and there is less than 12" of countertop behind it, then 2 outlets are required, one on either side of the island."

this is from a paragraph that begins with "all kitchen islands and peninsula's require outlets" No direct mention of peninsula's is made, just broken countertop space.

So, the question... do I only need one outlet on my peninsual, as there is 18" of unbroken countertop behind the rangetop?

Comments (3)