SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaseki

NEC par. 210.52 incomplete?

kaseki
16 years ago

I have a kitchen plan that includes a counter extending along a seven-foot wide bay window in an exterior wall. The counter top height and window sill height are to be the same, with the intent that the counter top extend into the window. As a result, the NEC par. 210.52 two-foot rule cannot be met by receptacles in the wall space above the counter except at the sides of the window. Face-up receptacles in the counter are prohibited in a later part of the NEC for good reason.

Exceptions in NEC par. 210.52 (C)(5) do not literally apply, unless one takes the position that a window is not a wall and hence the counter is a peninsula. In this case, additional outlets could be put below the counter top on the cabinet face.

I am unclear whether such an attempt at meeting the intent of the rule while violating its exact wording would be acceptable to my local building inspector. Before I raise the question with him, I would like to know if this is a settled issue, or at least what is typically done in such cases.

Thanks for any help

kas

Comments (8)

• bus_driver
    16 years ago

I am needing to be elsewhere right now, but this may help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Read this

• normel
    16 years ago

Best bet would be to ask your inspector. I think you have a valid argument that the counter in front of the window should be treated as a peninsular and that 210.52(C)(5) Exception (b) should be allowed.

• itsunclebill
    16 years ago

There is nothing ambiguous about the wording of the article. A window is not a wall space and a kitchen counter in front of a window is neither an island or peninsula.

There is, however, no requirement I am aware of that requires a physically impared person to live in a residence where wiring for same is installed. After all, these folks move out of houses just like the rest of us and there are no rules requiring things be changed to sell and/or occupy the property.

Definitely an AHJ issue.

• bus_driver
    16 years ago

At this link near the top center is a + that can be clicked to enlarge that page. A 'tombstone' receptacle would clearly meet the code for the situation at hand. But they are about as pretty as couple of extra warts on one's nose.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stallcup

• brickeyee
    16 years ago

The kitchen counter rule applies to counter wall space.
    NOT counter window space.
    No wall, no receptacle requirement.

I have pointed this out repeatedly, often to be questioned by folks who have not actually read the code (let alone the code 'guide' documents.

Th only place that gets a little touchy is if there is trim below a window that could fit a receptacle (even horizontally).
    Since other codes prohibit the full scale chopping up of the framing below a window, there is NO WAY to legally mount a box there.

• petey_racer
    16 years ago

Sorry guys. I have to take the opposing view. A countertop along a wall is a countertop along a wall. The code does not care if there is a window, fixed glass panel, glass block, or whatever, cut into that wall just above the counter. The counter is still a wall counter, because just behind the counter itself IS wall.
    I also firmly believe this is the intent of the exception to 210.52(C)(5).

Also, there are only three types of counters in the eyes of the NEC:

(C) Countertops In kitchens and dining rooms of dwelling units, receptacle outlets for counter spaces shall be installed in accordance with 210.52(C)(1) through (C)(5).

(1) Wall Counter Spaces

(2) Island Counter Spaces

(3) Peninsular Counter Spaces

Which one is it???

Use the exception noted above and put the receptacle in the face frame just under the countertop.

• cobraguy
    16 years ago

Petey, I believe the AHJ is going to agree with you on this one.

• kaseki
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank youall for your helpful suggestions. I think there is concensus that permission is needed from the AHJ for applying one of the exceptions, even if there is disagreement about which exception and why.

I think the multiple answers given support my sense that the NEC is incomplete in this area (not that it is ambiguous). As a generator of requirements documents myself, I am aware of how difficult it is to make them address every case.

So far, I have supplemented the 2008 Code with Mullin's just printed 16th edition as a guide. It does not address this issue, or define 'wall space.' The Stallcup page bus_driver referenced above did not address the long window issue either. I haven't found any Code committee minutes that are applicable. I would consider purchasing any other published guide (preferably updated to the 2008 Code) that brickeyee or others of you recommend.

kas