SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenz_gw

Receptical Requirements For Remodel Of Old Peninsula Cabinet

gardenz
16 years ago

Hi. I've read several threads here and in the Kitchen forums about the necessity for recepticals on islands and peninsulas. But I'm still unsure and quite confused as to answers for my particular situation.

Having new cabinets installed and undercabinet lighting put in. Using the same existing footprint for cabinets. Nothing is changing in that regard. Peninsula is 51" from the side wall backsplash which contains all the wall outlets and recepticals. The actual part of the peninsula that sticks out past the 24" depth of the other counter where they meet - like the bottom of an "L" - is 27". There has never been an outlet there since we had the house built 24 years ago.

Based on what I've read here and other kitchen/electronic forums and what I've been told by some electricians I've been interviewing, it would be code now (I'm in New Jersey) to have an outlet there if this were a total new construction. BUT....because I'm not doing any major reconstruction and that it's a basic remodel flip w/just new cabinets in the same footprint, I'm not required to put one in. IOW: If it wasn't there before, it isn't necessary to be put there now just because I'm replacing the cabinet. One guy cited the N.J. Rehab Code to that effect. But also reminded me that some inspectors don't give a rat's behind about the Code and may fail me anyway.

I don't know what to do. I'm not all that comfortable w/not filing for a permit & inspection just to avoid the possibility of some pissy inspector failing me. Nor do I relish either preemptively or after the fact having to cut a hole in my beautiful end panel additions for a stupid outlet that I will never - ever - use and one that may not be technically necessary according to this Code.

Can anyone help me on this, please or direct me to other sources for some answers? Thanks so much.

Comments (3)