SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristina_omark

Kitchen Remodel - Eliminating Peninsula but Stuck with Support Wall

Kristina Dell
6 years ago
I've attached the photos of our current kitchen (excuse the clutter) and the kitchen that inspired our new layout. You'll note that we cannot remove the 45" support wall that will remain at the spot where the peninsula is being removed. I'm struggling to figure out how to design around this wall without it looking random. Some thoughts I've had are using it as a bookshelf for cookbooks and/or coffee bar along the side closest to the windows. I've also considered continuing the counter space after the wall to butt up against windows but the cabinets would need to be shallower than standard and the ceiling in the window room is pitched. I'm not in love with any option I've been able to come up with and am eager for your ideas.

Changes we're making to transform our kitchen:
1. Flip flop location of range/microwave and fridge
2. Remove existing pantry and substitute with additional counter space and cabinets.
3. Replace desk area with standard counter space and cabinets.
4. Center fridge in new location and replace existing cabinets with full length pantry cabinets on either side of fridge.
5. Eliminate peninsula up to support wall.
6. Replace existing island with 4'x8' island including the sink and dishwasher.
7. Big farmhouse table in window room (to act as dining table as 'dining room' is utilized as a playroom).

Comments (37)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz