SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chigirl60614

10 year old kitchen- to remodel or not? What would you do?

chigirl60614
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Last year, I was in a rush to find a house and bought the 1st house I saw on the market even though it did not have open floor plan I wanted. I entertain often with lots of people and love cooking. Currently, these cabinets are nice quality canadian custom cabinets so I'm having hard time throwing them out and also wondering if all new appliances is worth the cost..... Its hard to see but I also have breakfast nook at the end of the kitchen which will stay as is. (where camera was positioned)

1st picture is what I have.

2nd picture is what I envision.

1. Tear down the wall where the stove is. This will open my kitchen to the family room.

2. Move stove to where dishwasher is. I already put in 2nd dishwasher on left of sink so I will only keep that new one.

3. All new cabinets and counter tops.

4. All new appliances.

Comments (44)

• suzyq53
    6 years ago

How long will you be living there? I love your inspiration picture, but the current kitchen is very nice and perfectly functional. So much time and money and disruption.

chigirl60614 thanked suzyq53
  • Related Discussions

$10K for L-shaped kitchen+island-what would you do?

Q

Comments (12)
    I just got very lucky and found cabinets with shaker style doors ON SALE. I have an "L" shaped kitchen about 175" total and I'm putting in approx. 16 cabinets: top and bottom. White painted maple, dove tailed constructions, silent shut drawers, full overlay, for less than $5,000. The cabinets are Mid Continental. I looked them up online and they're reputable although not often heard of. It's the Hartford style doors. They have a square recessed panel with a rectangle frame although they have two other styles they consider Shaker. I didn't mind compromising to save over $2,000 which was the cost of the true shaker doors (they call one Concord). You can look them up and find a dealer and see if they also have a sale.
    ...See More

A very old and small NYC kitchen space: What would YOU do with it?

Q

Comments (27)
    I find your apartment luxurious in the layout you now have and I updated your space without major construction, i.e. not moving the dishwasher or changing the downstairs bathroom. Living in NYC, we have welcomed guests and accommodate them as best as we can. Down the road you may want to consider enlarging the master bedroom bathroom to include a bathtub and laundry (!!!). This would enormously increase the resale of your property. I love the hot plates, but a small stove top and convection oven can do everything and more permanent, again increasing the property value. Don't spend the unnecessary expense of moving the sink or dishwasher, just to turn that corner and work with what you have. A decent size counter is a large workspace and dining area. I've had the biggest and best Thanksgivings in a teeny tiny NY kitchen!
    ...See More

100 year old Kitchen Remodel on a budget

Q

Comments (20)
    All of your feedback has been super helpful, and I’ve spent a great deal of time working through all the ideas. Susan Davis mentioned the idea of just cleaning and painting everything. As I think through this, it occurs to me that we may very well be able to go this route to some degree and still create a very nice home. Mainly, this would entail keeping the original kitchen cabinets and counters. Amy said the floor tiles and cabinets are timeless. Maybe the cabinets will look classic once they’re appropriately painted. Would the cabinets be painted a solid color or are there artists who could paint a nice design? Is it possible to add rollers to the drawers? Julieste’s idea to buy cabinetry from a similar home being remodeled is really creative, but I don’t think there’s enough space to add cabinets and the amount of cabinet space is probably good enough. The black tile on the counter around the sink is in good condition. Some of the tiles on the counter by the wall of cabinets have hairline cracks but otherwise seem okay to me. We’d need to replace the sink and faucet. In the bathroom, we’d replace the bathtub/shower. Lyndee Lee suggested moving the refrigerator outside of the nook area would create a useful dining or office space and that’s a fantastic idea. I added a photo of the archway leading to the nook. I can’t see the refrigerator fitting inside the kitchen area but there’s sufficient room inside the laundry room. In this case, it’s probably best to remove the door to the laundry room. All the major money would go to electrical, plumbing and A/C, plus painting. Is it best to hire a contractor who’s going to hire these four subcontractors, or would it be as good or possibly better if I hire them directly? It's 1,200 sq ft, 2 bedrooms 1 1/2 baths. Thanks for all of your help.
    ...See More

Would you replace 10x10 25 year old porcelain tile (gray condition)

Q

Comments (7)
    I am not sure I would replace the front hallway at least, with vinyl. If you are doing anything with the kitchen, I would probably replace that because ceramic is hard on the feet. I don't have anything particularly against vinyl, I am putting old-school VCT in the entry and kitchen of my house because it's that sort of house and wood would be very impractical in our particular entry. The current spot in inside the front door is worn down to the bare wood. But in general I think LVT is going to be one of the "what were they thinking" materials of the future much like wall-to-wall is to most people right now.
    ...See More
  • chigirl60614
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We plan on staying for a long time since we love the school district and the large backyard. But this kitchen is too tight when I entertain... knocking down the whole wall (behind flower vase) will give me the open flow. I guess I need to figure out the cost for all new cabinet/countertops vs just knocking down the wall.

• Lisa
    6 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful! The cabinets are good quality, there's plenty of prep space and it looks light and spacious. I can't imaging spending money on a major remodel when no updating is needed.

chigirl60614 thanked Lisa
  • richfield95
    6 years ago

The door style on your cabinets is much different than your inspiration photo, I’m not sure they would give you the look you want if you painted them. Your cabinets look very nice in your picture, why not leave them then update the counter and backsplash?

With Your second option, have you measured your cabinets to see if the stove can move? You would need a base cabinet the same width as the stove and a wider opening directly above to accommodate the hood. You would need to get finished end pieces for the cabinet in the corner by the stove, and the counters reconfigured.

chigirl60614 thanked richfield95
  • suzyq53
    6 years ago

It will still be tight like a long galley and the stove location will be strange. Post a picture of the breakfast nook side please. May be a way to use that. If you really want bigger and open, looks like you'd need to remove the fridge/oven wall and pop the whole sink wall out the back. That would take some doing and serious $$$. Can you do without the island? Removing that would give you some elbow room.

chigirl60614 thanked suzyq53
  • Diane
    6 years ago
    Have you talked to a few kitchen designers in your area? Often what we see is photos is limited an on-site consult could provide valuable insight and maybe a realistic idea as to the cost associated with any changes.
    chigirl60614 thanked Diane
  • chigirl60614 thanked _sophiewheeler
  • gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    6 years ago

If you think the kitchen is too tight, get rid of the island.

chigirl60614 thanked gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
  • GreenDesigns
    6 years ago

It's beautiful. Live with it as is.

chigirl60614 thanked GreenDesigns
  • rockybird
    6 years ago

The island looks like it blocks access to the appliances. The aisles look narrow?

I’m going to go against the crowd and say if you think you will live there a long time, and you are not happy with the kitchen, and you can afford it, why not redo it? I’d sell the cabinets to recoup a little money (I sold the old 70’s cabinets in my house on craigslist - a house flipper removed them and bought them). I’d try to reuse the appliances (they look high end). Also, if you take down a wall, consider that flooring will be disrupted. I’d meet with a kitchen designer, get a plan together, and get a bid. Once you know that number, you’ll know if it’s something you really want to do. My opinion is, if you’re not happy with the kitchen, explore redoing it.

chigirl60614 thanked rockybird
  • sonni1
    6 years ago

I'm not a construction professional, so I can't say whether these ideas are cost effective. It sounds as if you want to stay in the house, so perhaps consider rather than tearing out entire wall - opening it up by cutting out a large "window". Replace the hood with a pull out drawer type hood (less space), replacing the range with an induction top. Replace the cabinet doors and paint the new doors and what's left of the old cabinets a light color like in your inspiration photo. May need new countertops? It doesn't appear as if it would be feasible, but ask your contractor if he/she could widen the doorway too.

chigirl60614 thanked sonni1
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

I think what the poster wants is a more open space when entertaining so with the right KD this could be done and IMO if you want to stay for a long time the payback is a house you love and who cares what might ohappen 10 yrs from now. This whole idea of doing renos to please a mystery buyer down the road is just plain stupid .

chigirl60614 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • lilacinjust
    6 years ago

If the wall isn't load bearing, it is not a big deal to take it down.

I opened up a wall for our kitchen redo and it was short work for our contractor to take it down. It went very quickly and changed the lighting and well, just everything!

That said, your kitchen is gorgeous and enormous by my standards. It's going to cost a lot of money to basically redo it all.

What's your budget?

chigirl60614 thanked lilacinjust
  • lilacinjust
    6 years ago

Venting might be an issue if you tear down the wall.

chigirl60614 thanked lilacinjust
  • Christine Zwicke
    6 years ago
    Do not install textured tile. Tile, yes! Textured, no! Why? The texture is difficult to clean and keep clean. The little impressions trap dust, grime, dirt and require dilligent cleaning, rinsing and drying...often on hands and knees with a scrub brush. No way to get around it, unless you have a a cleaner who does it for you!
    chigirl60614 thanked Christine Zwicke
  • palimpsest
    6 years ago

I understand that you plan to stay here, but is there even a remote possibility that you or your husband would be required to make a move because of a job?

I would analyze what it would cost to sell the house and move to another in the school district that has a plan and kitchen that is more suitable to your needs--because it's a poor return on your investment to redo this kitchen. Because other houses in the school district and in your neighborhood are likely to sell at very similar prices per square foot with a kitchen like you already have.

It would make sense only if houses in your desired area are extremely scarce, you have absolutely no possibility of a job transfer in the next ten years and your neighbors are doing the same thing: replacing high quality kitchens and appliances with newer ones. Or if $100,000 isn't that significant to you.

Because you are not just taking down a wall. That could be inexpensive. It's putting new things back in different locations that costs the money.

I understand what you are thinking. I am way overimproving my house compared to the comps. I get it. But there is no chance that either of us would be forced to move for job issues and any move would be voluntary, and the housing values have increased dramatically since I bought. However, if I did sell, I would lose every bit of extra money I spent compared to my neighbors. I may not actually lose money on paper. But if their inferiorly remodeled houses sell for essentially the same as mine (and they would) I am losing money from an investment standpoint.

If you have taken all these factors into account and you can afford to "lose" the money you spend on a brand new kitchen, and it's worth it for what you get out of this house, go right ahead. But it sounds like you don't like the house much and certainly there has to be something (unless your market is extremely tight) that you might start out liking from the outset and not have to change so much.

chigirl60614 thanked palimpsest
  • deegw
    6 years ago

There are a few finger wagging posts about expense but IMO that issue totally depends on the market. Is this a $400k house in a small town in SC or $1.5 million house in a desirable suburb outside of a popular city? Based on the OP's user name, I am guessing the latter.

Spending 10% of the house value on a kitchen upgrade is not financially foolish. Spending 35 or 40% isn't a great idea.

That being said, I agree with Pal - it's your $. If you aren't counting on the kitchen changes to add equity and don't care about recouping the $ you put into it - then go for it.

chigirl60614 thanked deegw
  • kim k
    6 years ago

I say do it. No matter what house you buy it won't be perfect and you'll want to make changes. I also don't understand the mentality of only renovating if you will get the $$ back in resale (which you have no immediate plans to do). It makes sense to make this house perfect for you and your family. We are doing similar in our house. There is value beyond resale and that comes from making the house work for you and your family to enjoy for as many years as you live there. I'd explore all options, maybe post a floor plan and get feedback here. It may make more sense to change the whole space and layout rather than try to just move one appliance. Good luck!

chigirl60614 thanked kim k
  • suzyq53
    6 years ago

Sometimes adding on to a house is more cost effective than reconfiguring the interior walls. If you are considering a complete gut and wall removal, its a good idea to consider adding on as part of the process, if you enlarge, improve function and flow in the living spaces you can add value and have the space you want.

• Skil367
    6 years ago

$100,000 here, $100,000 there, the next thing you know, you got a nice kitchen.

• Lois Huneycutt
    6 years ago

Personally I look at the “before” photo and see a perfectly functional kitchen with beautiful countertops and cabinets. I’d have a hard time justifying throwing out nearly new materials for a minimal return. If I had a kitchen like that but 50K to blow I’d probably take a six month trip to Europe or something.

• Jennifer Dube
    6 years ago

Your kitchen reminds me of my mom's kitchen, similar layout and cabinets (cherry). I'd keep the cabinets, and remove the back wall, leaving the counters but opening the rest up. That's what my mom has in her kitchen, so there's a bar with stools on the other side and she can see the t.v. / family room from the kitchen. Actually she has stools on both sides, kitchen and family room sides. Family/company congregates on both sides and it's nice for the flow.

Her cooktop is in the island, sort of across from the sink but down a bit (offset) towards the nook area. She also has less-busy, lighter counters on the sink wall (Corian in her case).

Also she has a fridge on the left hand side and freezer where you have your fridge. Basically most every day cooking is done on the left side. My mom is a huge baker so the right side with the wall ovens is where she bakes. Her kitchen is now about 25 years old but looks timeless. Cherry wood really is lovely, warm, and cozy, which is no small feat in such a big space.

But, I don't like white kitchens. Had one, and it was such a PITA to keep clean, and it was a SMALL white kitchen, about 1/8 of the size of yours! Every smudge shows with white kitchens. I also don't think white kitchens work that great in spaces without a lot of natural light. That has been my experience, at least.

• caligirl5
    6 years ago

I understand what you are thinking. I am way overimproving my house compared to the comps. I get it. But there is no chance that either of us would be forced to move for job issues and any move would be voluntary, and the housing values have increased dramatically since I bought. However, if I did sell, I would lose every bit of extra money I spent compared to my neighbors. I may not actually lose money on paper. But if their inferiorly remodeled houses sell for essentially the same as mine (and they would) I am losing money from an investment standpoint.

If I had that kitchen, I'd keep it. Maybe look into removing the island, which looks like a barrier to the sink and keeping things feeling more closed in.

But maybe I'm a hypocrite because I went through the same dilemma you outlined above and decided to go through with the remodel. I have small bungalow. I paid $440K and within 3 years it appraised for $630K despite the terrible kitchen and bathroom. Remodeling the kitchen and bath cost $125K, so I won't end up underwater, but I'm just going to get a fraction of the $125K back.

Before I remodeled I did look at other houses up to $800K (comparable investment to $630K+$125K). In my area, that would get me a larger house but not the kitchen I was looking for. I agree to look into this option and make sure it's not viable for you. Much easier to finance a mortgage and no construction!

Your current kitchen is WAY nicer than my "before" kitchen---but I wonder if they would be viewed similarly in the real estate market. My kitchen looked old but functional, not requiring immediate remodel. Your kitchen is great, but I wonder would buyers in your area view it the same way you do? Nice, but not dream kitchen for the reasons you mention?

Anyways, no one here is going to tell you this remodel is financially prudent. But it's really up to you to consider your financial situation and if the changes are worth it.

If you do remodel, I'd spend more time considering the layout. I wouldn't put the stove right next to the sink, and I'd try to fix the barrier island problem blocking the path from sink to fridge.

Good luck!

• PRO
    Oakville Real Estate
    6 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful and it looks very expensive and high quality. Somebody already suggested living in the house for another year or two before jumping into such a major project. Enjoy your new house for now :)

• palimpsest
    6 years ago

I do want to make an addendum that, although I am spending more on my kitchen than my neighbors, my kitchen is currently pretty awful. I'd have a hard time removing the kitchen above or replacing those appliances. But I bought a house with an awful kitchen to avoid having to remove a newer on that I wouldn't like.

But I don't want to judge how other people spend their money. This kitchen could be removed and donated or sold, and the project will give people work. As long as it doesn't all end up in a dumpster...and just because someone can spend on a kitchen does not mean they are uncharitable or don't have "meaningful experiences" as well. I doubt 1% of the people in these forums would forgo a new kitchen in its entirety and give all the money to charity instead.

• rockybird
    6 years ago

Diana Bier, I think that is a little harsh. She does not sound like a spoiled child. She is an adult and can do whatever the heck she wants!

She does not like the kitchen. The kitchen does not work for her. Therefore, she wants a new kitchen. I suppose if the cabinets were good quality and fluorescent pink, she should keep those as well, by your reasoning. If you are truly in interior design then I would think you would understand this.

• suzyq53
    6 years ago

Well we would donate them, but they won't take them. It all goes into the landfill.

• PRO
    Aqua Kitchen and Bath Design Center
    6 years ago

Your inspiration photo is so beautiful but your current kitchen looks great, too! I understand that, regardless, this current situation doesn't work for you as the space does seem a bit narrow for what you want to achieve. Knocking down the island may help and also removing a few of the upper cabinets (and putting open shelves instead), especially those near the window may help to open up the kitchen. Maybe even replacing this island with a smaller one may help. I would take a look at what can I do with the existing material before I decide to reimagine the kitchen completely.

• sofikbr
    6 years ago

If you planning to be in house for many years and not happy with kitchen, change it. Would keep appliances, they look nice and high end. Maybe you can just open that wall by moving double oven , and keeping fridge, adding counter there with chairs and removing island. Can paint cabinets and change hardware.

• palimpsest
    6 years ago

I don't think the house was bought on a whim, I think the house was bought under some sort of pressure to get a house in a certain school district. Whether this pressure was completely self imposed or not, who knows? But I know people who've bought the wrong house because of job transfers, too. And we have no idea how tight their housing market is.

But as for scolding complete strangers on the internet...I know "calling people out" on their behavior has become quite popular but I don't get it, not at all. Talking to a family member, someone in whom you have a vested interest, about questionable choices is one thing. But why should anybody care enough about someone stranger's (victimless) behavior to scold? It's easy enough on the internet I suppose, because of the anonymity.

• lilacinjust
    6 years ago

And we have no idea how tight their housing market is.

Bingo, a little erring on the side of caution when admonishing the OP for the "offense" of saying out loud that she's not over the moon about her kitchen is in order.

You don't know what you will grow deeply fonder of or less enamored with in a house until after you live there awhile.

There are things about my house that I never knew I intensely dislike, and I live with now, but are a red line in the next one.

Our market was extremely tight when we bought.

• kim k
    6 years ago

Diana her question was 'what would you do?' not 'what do you think of me?'.

• cat_ky
    6 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful, and has personality, why would you want to make it into the pictured one, that has no personality, and looks bland and very much like a kitchen, you see almost everywhere thesedays.

• Sigrid
    6 years ago

Replacing appliances: You look like you have high-end appliances. That fridge looks just like my 2 year old SubZero, which is supposed to last 20 years. So, my guess is you have high-end appliances that are fairly new. I'd take stock before I replaced them.

The cabinets are lovely. I like them. They also look high-quality. If you hate them, okay, but my take is that you aren't going to end up with something materially better.

The wall looks like a small wall. It's worth noting that your kitchen is long and narrow. When you take down the wall, it might make the family room look small or odd. I've noticed most open kitchens have the long wall open to the rest of the house, not the short wall.

Before you do anything, you want to get a quote. Or perhaps several quotes for several options.

And, it's worth noting that you do not need to entertain in your kitchen. Your inspiration pic has a mere 3 seats in the kitchen. You could lay out your food and drinks in your dining room on a bar cart, for example. Wheel it into the kitchen before the party, load it up with drinks, glasses and ice and wheel it into the party area.

I'd figure out what it would cost to do what you want, whether it will be any better or just a style change, and if you can have great parties without opening the kitchen.

Then, I'd decide what to do. But, frankly, if it were me and I had the thousands to spend on a kitchen upgrade from that kitchen, I'd go on a cruise instead.

• Casandra383 Dean
    6 years ago
    Could you close up the doorway to the office and move your fridge and oven to that wall? You could open that wall up and move the island farther away from the sink wall. You could leave the perimeter cabinets as is or do a contrasting island, or have them all painted. I would think reconfiguration is definitely possible without having to trash the entire kitchen and start over.
    I know what it is like to have a un-functional kitchen. Others really don’t ‘get’ the irritation it can be when you have kids and cook regularly. And personally, I don’t think a white on white scheme is a bright idea with kids. I don’t want to see scuffs and stains daily. (And I think it will be dated in a few years too.)
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    6 years ago

Your cabinets are quite beautiful. Overall, the existing kitchen has very nice finishes.

The main thing that I see about your dream kitchen is light, light, and more light -- and more space.

You could have the cabinets painted a white or pale color, a shade that compliments the counters, but I would be reluctant to cover that beautiful finish (and I have painted cabinets).

I don't think knocking down the wall will really give you either, although a wider entry into the kitchen would be a plus. Also, I don't see what new appliances would do for your goal.

I would at the least shorten the island to allow more movement in the main kitchen area. Perhaps it could be removed entirely and partly re-used to create a short peninsula at the breakfast nook end, which would save some storage. If you want more "flow" from the family room, even if you knock down the wall, you have a bottleneck with the island and narrow aisles -- if you are hoping to have guests in the kitchen, I think you will need to completely re-design the layout. We have had some talented amateurs here in the past who will help with innovative ideas, so you should consider starting a thread with your house plan. Be sure to look at the "read me first" topic.

The floor is beautiful too but I think, with the cabs, adds to the "closed in" feeling. If you make any change to the island or wall, you will have to do some patching in of flooring -- so maybe just changing to something lighter would be a good move. Likewise, the counters are beautiful, but add to the almost monotone feeling. Keep them if you paint the cabs, change to a light/white if you don't.

Can you enlarge the window? or add one?

• my_four_sons
    6 years ago

It all comes down to budget. Labor in the Chicago are is very expensive.

Can you draw out a floorplan? I’m not sure opening up the indicated wall do much to increase the feel of spaciousness as your space is long and narrow. Additionally, moving the stove to the dishwasher will create a barrier island.

• GreenDesigns
    6 years ago

Do you know how expensive the existing kitchen actually is? As in, have you priced out how much your Wolf range and SubZero refrigerator cost? What about the custom cherry cabinets? A LOT of custom cherry cabinets!

There are white shaker kitchens at all price points. Your current kitchen sets the bar for anything equivalent redone to be right at that 130-140 upscale range. Then you have the structural changes. Which could be 10K or could be 30K.

You have to start this journey with where you are, and what you are willing to spend to get to your desired destination.

• PRO
    Brocca Custom Finish Carpentry
    6 years ago

You can always go with a refinishing of the cabinets with new doors and drawer fronts. You can get new Shaker doors and drawers and have the frame color changed. It currently looks great

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    6 years ago

I wish I could move your kitchen to my house without changing a single thing.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    6 years ago

As would 99% of the world, sherry.

• decoenthusiaste
    6 years ago

You already said you jumped the gun on this house, and I think this kitchen issue is buyer's remorse. Why not shop around and see if the house of your dreams isn't just down the street and on the market. If it isn't and you're stuck, then get a KD in to give you the bottom line.

• paulinteriors
    6 years ago
    First, both your current kitchen and dream kitchen are lovely.
    Second, if you choose to rip out your current kitchen, you can donate it and get a tax deduction (not sure how tax laws have changed regarding that)
    Third, time to hire a professional, perhaps a designer for a couple hours paid by the hour or a very experienced contractor to help you figure out the possible scenarios and potential costs.