SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeanie_beth

Bad fan remote or bad 2 way switch

jeanie_beth
15 years ago

I had a room added on 4 years ago. All wiring was done by certified electrician. He installed a Hunter ceiling fan in the room. He installed 2 way switches on the wall so I could turn fan light on/off from either side of room.

Another switch was installed beside one of the 2-way switches to control the fan itself to be on/off--not the light in the fan.

This Hunter fan came with an internal remote control. When he finished wiring the fan and light up, he said I could not use the remote control to control the fan LIGHTS as I had requested 2-way switch on the lights.

He said I could still use the remote control to turn FAN on/off.

All was fine and everything worked--I could live without a remote control for the fan LIGHT.

As I said, everything has been fine until a couple of days ago. I went in the room and flipped on the light switch and no light would come on.

I tried the other wall switch for the light and still no light.

I picked up remote and turned on FAN--it works fine.

At any rate, I have discovered that the light switches still work, but it depends on the position (either up or down) of the 2-way switches--kind of hard to explain...

If I have switch 1 OFF (down) and switch 2 OFF (down), the light is ON like normal...that is switch 2 works OK--up it's OFF, down it's ON. Switch 1 works as well at this point, UP light goes off, down, light ON.

However, if I turn the light off with switch 2 (UP), then switch 1 does nothing at this point--up or down the light doesn't come on from switch 1.

(I'm confused too!)

Anyway, nobody has been in the attic since this was installed by qualified electrician about 5 years ago and all worked fine until a few days ago so I don't think it is a wiring problem.

Do you think that the internal remote control "something" in the Hunter ceiling fan is faulty and I need to just replace the entire fan or is one or both of the light switches bad?

Remember, I never could use the remote control to operate the LIGHT on the fan due to a 2-way switch installation in the room.

Also, the remote still works fine for the Hunter FAN. Remember the FAN is on a separate single switch too, as long as that switch is ON, the fan remote works, so there's no problem with the fan part.

I know one thing, these 2-way switches are sure confusing to this girl....

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Jeanie Beth

Comments (8)