SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rprescot

Unsolvable problem with dimmer switch and bad circuit. Help!

rprescot
16 years ago

We've got a problem that a professional electrician can't diagnose or solve.

Our house was built in the late 1920s and has, I'm told, a two wire system; the electricians refer to it as a Carter system.

We have two sconces over the fireplace that are attached to (I hope I have this terminology correct) a three-way switch. One end of the switch is upstairs at the top of the stairs, the other end is downstairs at the bottom. The upstairs switch has been either a toggle or a sliding bar. The downstairs switch has, until now, been a dimmer. For years the dimmer worked. It was a circular style knob that turned left or right to work the lights. Pushing it in turned the light off.

Several months ago, out of the blue, everytime we pushed in the downstairs dimmer switch to turn the lights OFF, it blew the circuit breaker. Turning the dimmer switch ON worked - but turning it OFF blew the circuit. Additionally, the upstairs switch worked fine: ON or OFF from the upstairs location worked.

I had a well-reviewed electrical firm do a service call. When they took the downstairs dimmer switch out of the wall cut-out it worked. It didn't blow the circuit. They couldn't get the dimmer to fail. I had them replace the dimmer just in case. It was replaced with an "off the truck" part. This style of dimmer switch was a toggle with a thin little sliding bar next to it.

This worked for a little over two weeks, and then, when I again turned the dimmer switch off (using the toggle), there was a big POP and spark and the circuit blew. This time the dimmer switch was ruined.

I just had the same electrical crew out who were here the last time. They could find no signs of sparking that would give them a clue as to which wire might be shorted. This time they took each of the sconces off the wall and tested the wiring. No problem was found there. They checked the 3-way circuit with a little gizmo that buzzed when they held it near the wires, and they tried all sorts of switching combinations to get the sconces to fail. They couldn't get it to fail.

Basically at that point they just gave up. They put a regular toggle switch in to replace the dimmer thinking that the problem might be related to the dimmer technology's interaction with the Carter system wiring. They said that unless they got the switch to consistently fail so they could find the wire that had the short, they couldn't do anything, and that the problem might be "in the wall".

The two lights use halogen bulbs that are rated to 300W. I'm using Westinghouse 150W bulbs, according the packaging they came in - the watts rating is not on the bulb itself. The sconces were brought back from Spain 6-7 years ago, but the electricians said their wiring was "normal".

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of problem, or a recommendation? We're in a dilemma. At this point, if the downstairs toggle switch doesn't fail, that would be "OK" but we want to have a dimmer there. Again, we had one for years without any problem, and we can't remember any electrical change that occurred around the time the dimmer started blowing the circuit. On the other hand, if the toggle switch fails, it may not do so consistently and the electricians say they can't fix the problem if it is random and intermittent.

Thanks, Rick

Comments (4)